New IoW Theropod Discovered - Vectaerovenator

Omnomosaurus

Looks like we have a new dinosaur from the UK:

Vectaerovenator inopinainopinatus

The University of Southampton has confirmed that vertebrae discovered at Shanklin on the Isle of Wight in 2019 belong to a new species of Cretaceous era theropod.

Believed to be up to 4m long, the dinosaur had notably hollow bones.

"Chris Barker, a PhD student at the university who led the study, said: “We were struck by just how hollow this animal was — it’s riddled with air spaces. Parts of its skeleton must have been rather delicate"."

News article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-hampshire-53738762

Full publication expected in 'Papers in Palaeontology' soon.

• I found this Informative 4

Saw this posted yesterday, not much found but cool anyway.  Will be interesting to see the paper and how its related to Trex.  Wonder how long it will take to see IOW teeth for sale from this dino :)

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Saw this posted yesterday, not much found but cool anyway.  Will be interesting to see the paper and how its related to Trex.  Wonder how long it will take to see IOW teeth for sale from this dino :)

It'll definitely be an interesting read, by the sounds of it. Bet those sales listings are already being written as we speak :popcorn:

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 3:03 AM, Troodon said:

The paper describing Vectaerovenator is now available online at this link:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/spp2.1338

• I found this Informative 1