Biking for fossils in Moscow. Part II

RuMert

Hi all!

Following the first topic I'll show you another fossil layer in that same location, Epivirgatites nikitini ammonite zone. It's the lowest of the three layers in Fili Park, relates to the middle Tithonian (Volgian, upper Jurassic) and is known for big ammonites and vertebrate remains. It's the last remaining accessible site in the region where you can count on finding Jurassic vertebrates. The finds are stable, but small, scarce and involve sifting.

• I found this Informative 8

The park amuses and puzzles me. On the one hand, it's well known to have fossils, and many people, mostly with children, visit the fossil creeks daily in search of belemnites ("devil's fingers"). For example, somebody left belemnite and ammonite fragments here. Those are fossils "on normal difficulty"

7а.jpg

On the other hand, with enough effort you can uncover much more impressive fossils, like big ammonites (this one is 30 cm in diameter).

8.jpg

It takes time and nerves though: sticky slurping clay, omnipresent mud, water pouring from everywhere, cold, general look and feel of a swamp, shameless mosquitoes

9а.jpg

...concrete-like 30 cm thick layer of pressed belemnites and bivalve/ammonite fragments you have to break through

9а1.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

The problem is that the whole target layer is below the creek level, so you have to work in a hole 1-2m deep (as it has to be started above the creek), constantly taking out water still staying in the remaining loam goo knee-high, scooping and sifting

9б.jpg

The good news is that water doesn't fill the hole so quickly as you would expect, for example, by a river. The clay and pebbles in the creek bed prevent it from filling holes up at once

9в.jpg

Here you can see that the water level in the hole is much lower than in the creek

9г.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

With scooping and sifting and a bit of luck it's possible to find some shark teeth

9д.jpg

If you ever wondered what Moscow shark teeth would look like, here they are:)  (Sphenodus, 10 mm crown). Unrooted unfortunately, the ratio of rooted vs unrooted is like 1 to 10 and the luck was not on my side this time

10.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

...and an ichthyosaur tooth, a rare guest.

Note that the site is in no way similar to the Cretaceous and Miocene ones where you can get hundreds of teeth and verts. Here you have to sift for hours to find a single tooth, fish or reptile alike

13.jpg

• I found this Informative 15

As to invertebrates, the most known are Mosquella (3 cm) and Russiella (2,5 cm) brachiopods. The latter is present throughout the park layers, while the former is characteristic of the nikitini zone

14.jpg

15.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Ammonite fragments are numerous, but complete ones are almost non-existent. The preservation of all the fossils depends on phosphorite conretions, if the former are somehow associated with the latter, they are likely to be solid, otherwise they feel like wet paper and are easily destroyed

22.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Great trip report and pics! Thanks for sharing with us!

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Great report and pics, thanks :thumbsu:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Lovely fossils, it's always nice to see fossils from more unusual (to me) places. 

Those brachipods are my favourites. :b_love1::brachiopod:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Great report and many fantastic finds.  I love the Eucyclus gastropods.

Thank you .

cheers Bobby 

Wonderful finds!  I especially like the ichthyosaur tooth and the iridescent ammonite :wub:

(By the way - did you manage to extract the 30-cm-diameter ammonite?  Is the pictured iridescent ammonite the same one?)

Thank you all for the kind words:)

11 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Those brachipods are my favourites

In this place brachiopods are the kings, which is not so common in Jurassic

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

It just goes to show that you don't git somethin' fer nuthin'

Exactly:) This "swamp paleontology" is typical for our Jurassic unlike for example, Carboniferous

1 hour ago, butchndad said:

i love calling belmenites "devil's fingers"

That's how they are called among the people:) It's just a name, but some do believe they actually have medical properties

49 minutes ago, Monica said:

did you manage to extract the 30-cm-diameter ammonite?

Nope, the big ammonites are very badly preserved, so at best I would turn up with something big vaguely resembling an ammonite

• I found this Informative 2

Another spectacular report! Judging from your pictures, fossil hunting in Moscow is tailor made for children who love to play in mud!!! I would have loved your sites as a child, and still enjoy the feel of earthen mud between my toes as an old man.  

Mike