Biking for fossils in Moscow. Part II

RuMert

Great report. In the heart of Moscow is a gem of a site requiring extensive labor to extract some gorgeous fossils. I'm enjoying viewing them. Thank you. 

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, RuMert said:

In this place brachiopods are the kings, which is not so common in Jurassic

Brachiopods are always the kings. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, butchndad said:

i love calling belmenites "devil's fingers"

They called them 'thunderbolts' in some parts of the UK. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

9 hours ago, RuMert said:

That's how they are called among the people:) It's just a name, but some do believe they actually have medical properties

In Germany they are traditionally called "Donnerkeile" : Thunder Spearheads.

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks so much for sharing!  Beautiful and fascinating!  Now I will know what to do, should I ever visit Moscow!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 2:15 AM, RuMert said:

Note that the site is in no way similar to the Cretaceous and Miocene ones where you can get hundreds of teeth and verts. Here you have to sift for hours to find a single tooth, fish or reptile alike

Awesome finds, though! Wish I had a site that versatile in my area!

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Amazing!  I imagine you were pretty muddy riding home!  But completely worth it.  Thanks for sharing.  I especially like the bivalves.  And the photo of Москва through the trees is gorgeous.

Cheers, Cheryl

“It is perhaps a more fortunate destiny to have a taste for collecting shells than to be born a millionaire.” ~RL Stevenson

Thanks for the new posts! Another ammo from there. Not the best preservation, but unusual that most of it even survived. Lomonossovella lomonossovi, a species that could reach big sizes, Epivirgatites nikitini ammonite zone. Biggest ammo you can find in Moscow

IMG20201227224247а.jpg

The picture below (not mine) was taken in Yaroslavl oblast, home of the biggest Lomonossovellas

147050292504069-big.jpg

I'll add the mysterious tooth I asked for ID assistance, it's from this site too:

• I found this Informative 4