Are these plant remains?

Kasia

Hello dear TFF members,

I found these at the slope of the hill near Berat, Albania - are these plant fossils? 

IMG_20200813_083817.jpg

The black dots seen in the first photo are likely modern lichens. The other shapes appear to be mineral crystals though. 

• I found this Informative 1

I think I see some macerated plant material in several photos.  It is small unidentifiable fragments, such as would be deposited in a stream or pond.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

On 8/13/2020 at 1:52 AM, Kasia said:

Hello dear TFF members,

I found these at the slope of the hill near Berat, Albania - are these plant fossils? 

IMG_20200813_083817.jpg

This one looks like there could be some trace fossils on the surface, but if it is the same soft rock containing the plant material, it could just be surface erosion too. Really hard to tell. Is this the same type of material containing little plant fragments? If so, perhaps the feature on the top is a bit of seed? Can you get a photo of it from the side?

On 8/13/2020 at 1:58 AM, Kasia said:

IMG_20200813_084116.jpg

I spent a whole day picking through layers of this type of material in the Hell Creek Formation a few years ago. It reminded me of peat. I found quite a few seeds and some other tiny microfossils between the layers. It can be really interesting material. 

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

This one looks like there could be some trace fossils on the surface, but if it is the same soft rock containing the plant material, it could just be surface erosion too. Really hard to tell. Is this the same type of material containing little plant fragments? If so, perhaps the feature on the top is a bit of seed? Can you get a photo of it from the side?

Ay, I have thrown it away :Cry:, because Im leaving tomorrow so I needed to dispose of the rocks that I dont intend to take with me... 

IMG_20200813_083817.thumb.jpg.1f42fb67087db3dd43f048006afcf729.jpg.7155c2f382a5f8d36961d5daa2c6ec8f.jpgHello Kasia!

So you are in Albania yet. Nice place! :)

The first sample posted by you reminds me of trace fossil Meandropolydora, but I'm not sure. Try to compare with the picture I post and say if you see some similarities.

A-Maeandropolydora-gallery-on-the-internal-surface-of-a-right-valve-of-O-puelchana-B.thumb.png.2d8a74d097fd41148602dc699b547988.png

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

18 hours ago, abyssunder said:

IMG_20200813_083817.thumb.jpg.1f42fb67087db3dd43f048006afcf729.jpg.7155c2f382a5f8d36961d5daa2c6ec8f.jpgHello Kasia!

So you are in Albania yet. Nice place! :)

The first sample posted by you reminds me of trace fossil Meandropolydora, but I'm not sure. Try to compare with the picture I post and say if you see some similarities.

A-Maeandropolydora-gallery-on-the-internal-surface-of-a-right-valve-of-O-puelchana-B.thumb.png.2d8a74d097fd41148602dc699b547988.png

Hi,

thanks a lot for help, but I have disposed of this piece, as I needed to reduce the weight of rocks I brought from Albania. Nevertheless, I have got quite a few interesting pieces and I will be posting the full report from the trip soon :), so keep an eye on the Hunting Trips section :look:

Regards,

Kasia

• I found this Informative 1