CH4ShotCaller

After 55 years of collecting, hunting, making friends, researching, listening to those with experience and hiking thousands of miles, I am nearing the pinnacle of my endeavor.

The restrictions in Washington state concerning fossil collecting is strict and many of my old sites are closed. There's ways around those restrictions and they're legal, but it's a thin line to walk, literally. I believe those restrictions forced me to a new approach that has become very rewarding. Plus, I've started donating my collections, it's gratifying. Besides, I can't take 'em with me. Here's another isopod and I'll add more pictures of Wednesday's hunt.

20200813_071727.jpg

• I found this Informative 16

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

My first attempt at putting bones together. I don't think my orthopedic skills are much to write home about. Possibly whale, not sure.

received_314503586359067.jpeg

received_1005707423197028.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Whale earbone. 

20200813_071705.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Hey man, good to see you back on line.  too bad we didn't connect a few years back.I haven't been back to the NW for two years and I'm dream land to be back.  Wow seeing an isopod is so cool.  Congrats.

• I found this Informative 1

21 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Hey man, good to see you back on line.  too bad we didn't connect a few years back.I haven't been back to the NW for two years and I'm dream land to be back.  Wow seeing an isopod is so cool.  Congrats.

Thanks buddy! C'mon by for a visit next summer and I'll take ya crab, whale and isopod hunting. (No guarantee on the isopod, haha).

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

On 8/14/2020 at 9:40 AM, CH4ShotCaller said:

Plus, I've started donating my collections, it's gratifying

Well done!!! Shouldn't you get a PaleoPartner Award? Nice isopod, by the way.

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Well done!!! Shouldn't you get a PaleoPartner Award? Nice isopod, by the way.

Yes, but I'm waiting for the publication on my recent find, kinda like having the keys to the car. Most of my other donations have gone to good friends and children and one to the Burke Museum. Plus, I'm working on another rare block that has a mass of crab that are scattered, 3 cancer majestis and another I've never seen. 

• I found this Informative 3

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

T*his latest find sounds very cool/fantastic.  Now you've got my attention..Do you happen to have any pics that you can share.  You know me, crabs are my obsessions.

Later

Steve

8 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

T*his latest find sounds very cool/fantastic.  Now you've got my attention..Do you happen to have any pics that you can share.  You know me, crabs are my obsessions.

Later

Steve

Several blocks with at least 6 crab, each block has loads of fragments, molts, pieces. Looks like an ancient crab rave gone bad. I'm not sure, my thoughts are cancer wahkaikumensus. Will wait to post the rest until I'm certain. Most of this fella is missing and the margins are weathered. I have weeks and weeks of preparation in store. Gotta love that Butvar. These are so fragile. 

20200817_160840.jpg

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Boy, the shell preservation is so nice on that guy.  Too bad it is just a section of the carapace.  So far I am not sure on the ID.  I would like to get out there next summer, if possible.  Need to stock up.

Yeah, and congratulations on a publication.  Cool.

Good to see ya again Scott.  Looks like your finding some really interesting stuff!   I have heard that you found some new area/s.  Good goin. 

RB