Charleston, SC Shark and Vertebrae ID #3

Bails

Hey all,

I found these 3 teeth and vertebrae on a hunt this week and was hoping to get an ID on them since I do not recognize them. Any help would be greatly appreciated! If a need to post any other pictures please let me know! 

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

For future posts, it's also helpful to tell us where you found them. 

1. Angustidens

2. Mako

3. Mako

4. Not a vertebra, but a pufferfish/porcupine fish mouthplate

Shark/fish vertebrae are typically cylindrical with conical depressions in each of the circular faces, and holes (called "foramina") on the other, lateral surface. 

I'll let others who are more familiar with these teeth be more specific on 2 and 3.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Here are some shark vertebrae (from a post on the forum)

Shark vertebrae question - Fossil ID - The Fossil Forum

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Do you think that the chipped pieces on the Angustidens happened from the shark itself or is it too hard to tell? Interesting how preserved the serrated edges are except for those couple of spots. 

I’d say the damage on the first two are feeding damage from the shark eating! Good finds, I LOVE the colors on the angustiden!!!!!:envy:

Thanks so much @Praefectus! Do you know where I can find some more info on Anotodus Retroflexus? I didn't see much on a quick google search. 

Thanks,

Bailey

12 minutes ago, Bails said:

Thanks so much @Praefectus! Do you know where I can find some more info on Anotodus Retroflexus? I didn't see much on a quick google search. 

Thanks,

Bailey

Try looking under Isurus retroflexus. A debate exists over whether it should be classified under the genus Isurus or Anotodus

Here is a link to the elasmo page. 

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=heim/leecreek/lc-isurus.html&menu=bin/menu_topics-alt.html

Here are 3 TFF topics that discuss them. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Praefectus said:

1 - Otodus angustidens

2 - Anotodus retroflexus

3 - Also retroflexus??? Mind if I phone a friend @WhodamanHD

Tough call, but I think it’s actually Parotodus benedeni, which is an even more awesome tooth in my opinion. I have also decided to lean towards to retroflexus being Isurus if not flat out conspecific with I. paucus, but that is simply my opinion (which changes frequently.)

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Tough call, but I think it’s actually Parotodus benedeni, which is an even more awesome tooth in my opinion. I have also decided to lean towards to retroflexus being Isurus if not flat out conspecific with I. paucus, but that is simply my opinion (which changes frequently.)

Interesting. I wasn't even considering benedeni. Now that you mention it, it does look like a match. Thanks for the help. 

39 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Interesting. I wasn't even considering benedeni. Now that you mention it, it does look like a match. Thanks for the help. 

No problem! They are more common in SC than elsewhere

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks @WhodamanHD!! New to all of this, but I have seen people talk about a Benedini and they seem a bit rarer. Any Info on them or explanation for that? Thanks so much for helping us new collectors out! 

30 minutes ago, Bails said:

Thanks @WhodamanHD!! New to all of this, but I have seen people talk about a Benedini and they seem a bit rarer. Any Info on them or explanation for that? Thanks so much for helping us new collectors out! 

Hey, who you callin' new collector. :default_rofl:

2 hours ago, Bails said:

No problem! P. benedeni was a pelagic shark, meaning it spent much of its time in the open ocean. Most marine fossil deposits on land today are from shallower deposits. Due to this, it is usually rather rare. However, for whatever reason it seems to be more common in South Carolina’s Oligocene than in the Miocene elsewhere, for example some never find one in Maryland after a lifetime of Fossil hunting. Let me know if you have any further questions, I’m happy to help :)

Happy hunting,

Mason