Crustacean claw tip maybe?

itsronni

Hey guys, me again! Went again today to Big Brook, found a lot of neat stuff. Got my largest crow shark tooth yet, a couple small shark teeth, a ghost shrimp claw, and a perfect tiny shell impression. Picked this up as well just because it looked different. Hollow, conical, with a cutting edge that’s black and shiny. There’s no visible striations except for one line down the middle of one of the sides. About 1/2 inch long. From the tip it’s slightly prismatic in shape. Of course, it could also just be some funky rock formation. Anything helps me learn how to ID actual fossils though :)  Thanks in advance all! Loving this forum, learning a lot!!!

381F8ED5-0883-4784-86C0-544DC5A1DA73.jpeg

616EB035-6088-47E1-9159-7D8EA92B077C.jpeg

C6C132B2-5AB8-4F67-BB1D-EF76E4480E32.jpeg

Nope. We see lots of "funky rock formations" masquerading as fossils but this one has the hallmarks of a real fossil--but probably not a crab claw tip. ;)

I've seen lots of crab and shrimp claws and they don't tend to have conical ends to them as this one looks to have. They also tend to have bumps, spines, or even concavities on the outside and this one looks fairly undecorated. Difficult to make out in photos (and hard to take photos of smallish fossils) but this looks a lot like a crocodylian tooth with a large wear facet which can be caused by a tooth wearing against an opposing tooth in the other half of the jaw (top and bottom). Conical concave roots are consistent with these types of fishes.

I've never collected from Big Brook and I'm only vaguely aware of what types of fossils occur there. We have others on the forum with lots of experience at this locality and I'm sure you'll get a more authoritative reply before long. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken!!! Wow I finally posted a real fossil on here :yay-smiley-1: I guess I’m getting better at this whole thing!

7 minutes ago, itsronni said:

Wow I finally posted a real fossil on here 

It happens to the best of us. :P

We'll soon get an informed opinion when the members who regularly hunt Big Brook chime in.

Cheers.

-Ken

Lol! My second guess was croc tooth as well, but I the pics I saw were all shiny teeth which threw me off.

Here’s a side picture if it helps anyone id:

CBF2B97D-DEEE-470C-9CE4-FBFA3D14FB0B.jpeg

This is reminding me of pachyrhizodus,if so great find,I could be wrong we will see what the experts think

673A2081-F411-40CE-9FD7-9E64EC21EBC8.png