Turtle Scute and Unknown Bone

Planko

Hey Everyone, 

Yep me again. First is what might be a turtle scute. I am getting better at identifying things but these two I need help with. Second I am not sure about. I think it might be a phalanx  from a mosasaur but it is not con caved on one end. Both are protruding.  

Thanks in advance for any help. 

20200815_173711.thumb.jpg.2551fb7533d56bb1bfcb1ffbdab2c089.jpg

20200815_173718.thumb.jpg.b5289d460fc30b0fc11278a81e260d42.jpg

20200815_173732.thumb.jpg.8276923f53b04f08384033dab1db2091.jpg

20200815_173826.thumb.jpg.aaea79e41a922aa98884a1e6919d3ebb.jpg

20200815_173851.thumb.jpg.bb3757c28fc800a5cb5e710f5e5d19b8.jpg20200815_173842.thumb.jpg.5479bb951e707658d8d6d2f84ff06cf2.jpg20200815_173910.thumb.jpg.f6d56493721a5a95171409b55d98ffed.jpg

On 8/15/2020 at 7:07 PM, Planko said:

Yep me again. First is what might be a turtle scute. I am getting better at identifying things but these two I need help with. Second I am not sure about. I think it might be a phalanx  from a mosasaur but it is not con caved on one end. Both are protruding.  

Well, I missed this 1st time thru...

Unfortunately, I do not have mosasaurs in Florida, so I am not much help on the bone outside of thinking it is a toe bone and great quality. What is the formation/age of your hunting area? Are mosasaur toe bones a possibility and have you found any other like this one?

Now turtle scutes are another matter, we got tons of turtle bones/scutes/etc here in SW Florida. I have never seen a turtle osteoderm that looks remotely like yours. I do think it is a vertebra based on the texture of the bone in your 2nd photo,  and the obvious groove in the 1st photo. At 1.5 inches square, not large and might be a tail vert.  Just speculating...  Where are those texas experts when we need them?:popcorn:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Mosasaur toe bones are a possibility. Lots of mosasaur bones found in the river. No, I have not found another one. 

Tail vert to a mosasaur for what I thought was scute? 

Like I said I have no idea. I have looked at many pictures of skeletons and maybe even overlooked. 

Thanks for responding. 

2 hours ago, jpc said:

the hourglass shape suggests plesiosaur finger bone.

Plesiosaurs cranial phalanx? I look at a few plesiosaurs bones thinking they looked to flat. Moved on without another thought. Spent some time looking now and found a picture of one that looks just like it. If  it is, then I have four plesiosaur bones now. Just to find the others now. LOL

Thank you for your help. 

I would like to point out that turtle "scutes" generally do not fossilize. They are very thin, about fingernail thickness, and made of a similar material.  Turtle scutes pop off the caraoace shortly after death (see the image below for scutes coming off a dead box turtle.

5f430323d6634_Turtlescutescomingoffcarapace.jpg.f3040406608911db10e8e51d3d540c78.jpg

So I think you are talking about a piece of the turtle shell, and I don't think that bone is a piece of turtle. Not sure what it is, maybe someone will be able to identify it for you.

• I found this Informative 4

4 hours ago, Planko said:

Plesiosaurs cranial phalanx? I look at a few plesiosaurs bones thinking they looked to flat. Moved on without another thought. Spent some time looking now and found a picture of one that looks just like it. If  it is, then I have four plesiosaur bones now. Just to find the cranial phalanx?  Head finger?  others now. LOL

Thank you for your help. 

cranial phalanx?  Head finger?  

I guess so. I am not sure about posting the link and/or the photo from the paper but it states: 

Figure 6. SMNK-PAL 3992, Plesiosauria indet., phalanx in (a) cranial, (b) caudal, (c) proximal and (d) and/or (e) dorsal and ventral views. Scale bar 20 mm..

Figure 6, phalanx in (a) is what appears to be the same bone. 

57 minutes ago, Planko said:

Plesiosauria indet

One time, non_commercial use,  referencing the paper is generally defined as fair use.

carolinea, 62 (2004): 51-62, 6 Abb.; Karlsruhe, 15.12.200451iVIARIE-CELINh BUCHY Plesiosaurs (Reptilia; Sauropterygia) from the Braunjura (3 (Middle Jurassic; late Aalenian) of southern Germany

Figure 6. SMNK-PAL 3992, Plesiosauria indet., phalanx in (a) cranial, (b) caudal, (c) proximal and (d) and/or (e) dorsal and ventralviews. Scale bar 20 mm..

ToeBone.JPG.e3ccbf695ac55881f38c58ff0fafb650.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Planko said:

I guess so. I am not sure about posting the link and/or the photo from the paper but it states: 

Figure 6. SMNK-PAL 3992, Plesiosauria indet., phalanx in (a) cranial, (b) caudal, (c) proximal and (d) and/or (e) dorsal and ventral views. Scale bar 20 mm..

Figure 6, phalanx in (a) is what appears to be the same bone. 

This is telling us that the phalanx is seen in four different views; one of which is the cranial view, meaning as seen from the head end of the animal.  These are terms used in anatomy and medicine (CT machines have settings for each of these views). 

The correct short cut would be "cranial view of a phalanx", as opposed to "cranial phalanx", which means finger of the head.  Nit-picking, yes, but half of the challenge is non-confusing communication.  : )

In any case, great find.

• I found this Informative 1