Wyoming Shark teeth outing

jpc

Hi all- 

Today I led a group of Tate Museum members to a shark tooth site for a few hours of collecting.  We had a good time and I think all 45 people found at least a few teeth, with many finding many more.  

Cretaceous shark teeth form Wyoming are not big.  This site is one of the few I have found that I can bring a group to and there will still be teeth left after we leave.  We had permission from the landowner to do this for a few hours today. At this site, it is somewhat easy to find teeth.  It is much harder to find complete ones.  I left all mine at work. These are the highlights of my wife's catch.

IMG_0314b.thumb.JPG.84d02b5aed03b584ce0e894912e2daa1.JPG

Ptychodus is the most common species to find whole.  There's one at the top right position.  

Here is the site.  

IMG_0305b.thumb.JPG.bb52dc340b105ac7b6b386e94e406d71.JPG

The highlight for most people was when a herd of elk trotted past us about 1/4 mile away.  

IMG_0306b.thumb.JPG.facb574313c8680b20b74d344e0fb9ff.JPG

IMG_0311b.thumb.JPG.5edc8d1c47abfcfacaae8c84e9921fb8.JPG

Oh, did I mention that a few ammonites were found...

IMG_0304b.thumb.JPG.64e08807d289fc2b85400e5ee3d2e1ca.JPG

I did have an unpleasant encounter with a trespassing Harley biker returning from the Sturgis Rally.  I am not a fan of bikers and this guy only helped strengthen my bad opinion of them.  His travel buddy was much nicer and recognized me from TV, and managed to bring his friend back to the legal side of the fence.  I work hard to build good relations with landowners and I do not want it screwed up by an arrogant "I can do whatever I want" {insert cuss word here}.  Please get permission from landowners, everyone.  The repercussions of not doing so get all of us kicked off of fossil sites.  And if you ride a Harley... please be respectful.  

Hope you like the fossils. 

• I found this Informative 14

Nice finds! Congrats on being recognized from TV. You are a movie star! It is unfortunate that the trespassing situation happened. At least it seems to have ended amicably. 

2 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Nice finds! Congrats on being recognized from TV. You are a movie star! It is unfortunate that the trespassing situation happened. At least it seems to have ended amicably. 

Congrats!  Nice finds for your wife and you. There are some beautiful and amazing shark tooth and ammonite hunting sites there in Wyoming and North Dakota. My wife and I had a blast there a couple of years ago.  But really, she was more interested in marking the state of North Dakota off her travel list.  And I had too many fossil hunting trips planned - not enough of other type of adventures.  But, it was a highlight of mine for hunting in my few outings with her - especially to find our first Ptychodus whipplei (WY), the larger Turonian age Ptychodus anonymous (WY), and pyritized Ptychodus marginalis (SD). 

Sorry JPC.  I am quoting you now.

Congrats!  Nice finds for your wife and you. There are some beautiful and amazing shark tooth and ammonite hunting sites there in Wyoming and South Dakota. My wife and I had a blast there a couple of years ago.  But really, she was more interested in marking the state of North Dakota off her travel list.  And I had too many fossil hunting trips planned - not enough of other type of adventures.  But, it was a highlight of mine for hunting in my few outings with her - especially to find our first Ptychodus whipplei (WY), the larger Turonian age Ptychodus anonymous (WY), and pyritized Ptychodus marginalis (SD). 

Here are two pics of 20180710_094015.thumb.jpg.f6bddd72ac1979a049e8f8f2ca27f0f0.jpgPtychodus marginalis from a quarry in SD. 

0_20180710_153212.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

What a great combo of fossils and wildlife!!!!!! And 45 people didn't spook them. 

Mike

11 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

What a great combo of fossils and wildlife!!!!!! And 45 people didn't spook them. 

Mike

nope... they just trotted on by like we weren't there.  

digit... this is in southeastern Wyoming.  

• I found this Informative 1

Here are some Wyoming shark teeth. Identical teeth were also collected in Montana

4FFEA5E0-F7BA-41D0-8968-02E845C07CE4.jpeg

Nice finds thanks for sharing with us. I need to get up to casper and introduce myself to you jpc.

On 8/15/2020 at 8:31 PM, jpc said:

Hi all- 

Today I led a group of Tate Museum members to a shark tooth site for a few hours of collecting.  We had a good time and I think all 45 people found at least a few teeth, with many finding many more.  

Cretaceous shark teeth form Wyoming are not big.  This site is one of the few I have found that I can bring a group to and there will still be teeth left after we leave.  We had permission from the landowner to do this for a few hours today. At this site, it is somewhat easy to find teeth.  It is much harder to find complete ones.  I left all mine at work. These are the highlights of my wife's catch.

IMG_0314b.thumb.JPG.84d02b5aed03b584ce0e894912e2daa1.JPG

Ptychodus is the most common species to find whole.  There's one at the top right position.  

Here is the site.  

IMG_0305b.thumb.JPG.bb52dc340b105ac7b6b386e94e406d71.JPG

The highlight for most people was when a herd of elk trotted past us about 1/4 mile away.  

IMG_0306b.thumb.JPG.facb574313c8680b20b74d344e0fb9ff.JPG

IMG_0311b.thumb.JPG.5edc8d1c47abfcfacaae8c84e9921fb8.JPG

Oh, did I mention that a few ammonites were found...

IMG_0304b.thumb.JPG.64e08807d289fc2b85400e5ee3d2e1ca.JPG

I did have an unpleasant encounter with a trespassing Harley biker returning from the Sturgis Rally.  I am not a fan of bikers and this guy only helped strengthen my bad opinion of them.  His travel buddy was much nicer and recognized me from TV, and managed to bring his friend back to the legal side of the fence.  I work hard to build good relations with landowners and I do not want it screwed up by an arrogant "I can do whatever I want" {insert cuss word here}.  Please get permission from landowners, everyone.  The repercussions of not doing so get all of us kicked off of fossil sites.  And if you ride a Harley... please be respectful.  

Hope you like the fossils. 

Beautiful scaphite

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Love that Scaphites!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."