Navarro County (Texas) fossil hunting

Biomed Fossil

I was in creek bed and I came across several of these. I think they a mosasaururs am I correct? I was hunting for a couple of hours Saturday and Sunday. I found 15 different verts. busy weekend.two.thumb.png.51c4ed668b32dbd2f911eb67fb2e1b24.png

• I found this Informative 8

Amazing find!  :wub: :envy:. Were the vertebrae close together?  IOW might they have come from the same animal?

Don

• I found this Informative 2

I found them in about a 2 mile stretch. I did find 6 or 7 together though. 

The backpack was very heavy when taking  it back to the car. There was probably bones out there as well. I am just not good at telling the difference from petrified wood and bone material yet. I'll get there though.

• I found this Informative 1

Nice find or finds!!!! How big are the vertebrae? In the future, try and include a unit of measurement with your pictures. It is a very important aspect to proper identification. I still forget myself and have to add measurements later.  

Mike

I want to upload more pictures but I keep getting a "You are only allowed 3.95mb".

Do I need to change to setting on my phone camera?

vert pic.png

53 minutes ago, Biomed Fossil said:

I want to upload more pictures but I keep getting a "You are only allowed 3.95mb".

Do I need to change to setting on my phone camera?

There are some apps that can resize or compress the photos to fit within the 3.95mb limit. My android phone uses Lit Photo app and I like it!

Navarro County is close to me. I've read about other finds there, but so far, haven't had your luck finding anything. I seem to have to drive forever instead. I guess I need to not give up on the Navarro County area just yet.

Quiet a bit of Ozan formation in that area, but mostly modern sediments overlying the surface.  I suppose there are some patch areas with exposed Cretaceous layers like creeks and lakes. 

On 8/19/2020 at 1:25 PM, Creek - Don said:

Quiet a bit of Ozan formation in that area, but mostly modern sediments overlying the surface.  I suppose there are some patch areas with exposed Cretaceous layers like creeks and lakes. 

And the Ozan in several creeks in this area has the same great looking red clay spots that hold so many fossils in the NSR. But the red areas in these creeks just don't hold many fossils at all, at least not the spots I have found.

But there is also Kemp Clay, Nacatoch Sand, Neylandville and Marlbrook Marls, Pecan Gap Chalk, and Wolfe City Formation in Navarro County. And there is a history of fossils being found. As Biomed has just reminded us, you just have to explore enough to find the right spots. Someone who lives as close as I do, but drives all over the state to fossil hunt, should do that exploration. LOL

I have found a few more verts. I went further down to a different part of the creek. The finds were smaller than the verts I posted above. In the first pic they were around 4in. The verts I found this weekend are more 2 1/2in to 3in. So it may be possible they came from the same animal. I really would like to find a few teeth. I'm not sure where in relation to the area I should search. Would the best place be where I found the big verts or small verts? I have some pics of both and other things I found. I am still working on getting pics under the 3.95. I can download one but after that it puts up the message. I downloaded the app "little photo" and I have shrunk them down to 5k (150X100). I still get the same message. I may have to get help from my kids. They are a lot more computer savy than I am. lol..