MPH

Things like this, preserved this way (not so pretty well) can be tough to be sure of. Stromatolite, stromatoporoid, maybe even red algae seem like possibilities.

I would expect to see more of a tubular structure, and less pronounced layering in a bryozoan though. 

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, Rockwood. Yeah, I’ve struggled IDing this one for sure. Shape looked right for prasopora but the layering and no tubular structures definitely seems to point away. I couldn’t find much in the way of cross sectional examples of prasopora so thought maybe it was an outlier. Appreciate the input! 

Would there be any visible structure in the cross-section of a stromatoporoid, whether to the naked eye or under a loupe? If so and none is visible, I would go with stromatolite on this one (but without certainty). :zzzzscratchchin:

58 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Would there be any visible structure in the cross-section of a stromatoporoid

Yes. Whether it was preserved and if you can see it are different questions though.

• I found this Informative 1

You should be able to see pillars (often even with the naked eye) between laminae in a stromatoporoid, although as rockwood said this is preservation dependent. This is tough to pin down if its from till, because there's all sorts of layered things that can look similar if some of their structures have been destroyed. Its a neat fossil and I appreciate you sharing it with us :)