PaleoOrdo

Today I went back in time to what I believe is a cambrian site in Norway. I have some graptolites if someone like to find the age.... The fossile I however want to present first is this strange one. Is it a graptolite or a worm? Perhaps its inner parts? The size is not more than 1 cm length.

Martin

5f3b1316518bf_worm1.thumb.jpg.83bcececc1dbd5e8a01ed145c8bcd00a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Unknown Cambrian

Hello fossilcrazy,

Thanks for the reply. I fail to see the excact similarity. Which part are you thinking of? My speciemen har some distinct properties, namely the asymmetric symmety, the left and the right side have the same but it is a REGULAR zig-zag pattern (the line). 

Martin

After studying some graptolites, I think that the fossile shows the inner layer of a graptolite, as is indicated by this stone:

5f3dbdc57fc23_GRAPINNER.thumb.jpg.34d4a2dd6cf9cb4b09a4be65997fc89b.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Any member who has found a fossil showing a similar or other structure of the inner body of a graptolite as the first stone?

It is asked above:

"The fossile I however want to present first is this strange one. Is it a graptolite or a worm?"

The associated picture reminds me of the tubaria of a planktic graptolite like Haddingograptus.

For an close match see Figure 6a of:

Maletz, J., 2017. Graptolites: fossil and living. Geology Today, 33(6), pp.233-240.

A roughly similar specimen, although not the match as the image in Figure 6a of

MAltez (2017), above, can be seen in "Figure 7. Maturation of graptolite fusellum.

A – Haddingograptus eurystoma," page 53, of:

Maletz, J., 2020. Hemichordata (Enteropneusta & Pterobranchia, incl. Graptolithina):

A review of their fossil preservation as organic material. Bulletin of Geosciences, 95(1).

Direct link to PDF file of Maletz (2020)

Finally, there is "Fig. 5. Median septum development. 1, Climacograptid indet., relief

specimen showing zigzag median septum and intrathecal folding (Bulman, 1932a, pl. 3,34)" of:

Maletz, J., 2019. Treatise Online no. 127: Part V, Second Revision, Chapter 22:

Suborder Axonophora, Infraorder Diplograptina I (Diplograptidae, Lasiograptidae):

Introduction, morphology, and systematic descriptions. Treatise Online.

"Fig. 5. Median septum development" in Researchgate

Yours,

Paul H.

Edited by Oxytropidoceras
Revised text added another paper
  • I found this Informative 3

Thanks very much Paul! So great you found something look similar. I will study the text and look forward to know more about this wonderful animal called graptolite

Martin.

• 7 months later...