Dawn219

My ten-year-old and I moved to this property in middle Georgia about two years ago and started finding all kind of arrowheads and native American things. Now I'm starting to think I'm losing my mind because there are so many other things being revealed as the rain washes away my hill.

IMG_20200818_005656406.jpg

Love that second pic, looks like a large toe and finger. I am not a geologist, but I think those are ironstone concretions. I myself have collected similar forms thinking it's bone encrusted with matrix. I am sure someone else with more experience will clarify for you. 

• I found this Informative 3

Yup, @Rockwood beat me to it. But, indeed, iron concretions. The orange colour derives from the iron rust, which is a give-away. Not that I'm saying iron can't be a replacement mineral for fossils, but it's not all that common, as far as I'm aware...

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, Bradley Flynn said:

IMG-20200615-WA0042.jpeg

Depending on where you found this, it looks very suggestive of a plesiosaurid propodial. You're saying this is not a fossil?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

5 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Depending on where you found this, it looks very suggestive of a plesiosaurid propodial. You're saying this is not a fossil?

Wow ! Wouldn't that be :yay-smiley-1:

59 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Hi I just posted pics as a reference for @Dawn219. Giving my opinion on her finds above. Don't want to hijack her thread:heartylaugh:I have a thread for my find here Fossil bone?

You guys are awesome!! Thank you so much! I have tons of these things showing up and I swear they look like petrified bone. 

I'm not sure if I should toss them or keep them. But at least I now know that they ain't bone or other important to things. 

Whew!!

IMG_20200818_103949286.jpg

48 minutes ago, Dawn219 said:

I'm not sure if I should toss them

Toss them in a kiln with some limestone and you'll have iron.

Although I doubt this would be something worth saving, as a general rule I'd hang on to anything you aren't sure about whether to ditch or keep. As your knowledge will increase with time, it might turn out these few pieces you jugged were actually very interesting or useful, and you'll feel sorry for having thrown them out. It's always an estimation you need to make for yourself...

Oh wow

I didn't think about that

Thank you. There are just so many of them. I also have other things that need to be identified as well so I can get diggers out here to take over if my hunches are correct.