Searcher78

10 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

It is probably a very worn example of Hypolophodon. So, yes, it is a ray tooth.

Thanks, all the ray plates and pieces of ray plates that I have found there are not shiny black like this.  That is why I hesitated.  They are always worn, grayish-black, like stone.

Yes, drum tooth did occur to me as well as I was mulling over possibilities for this tooth. The roots of stingray teeth are usually bilobed but this one is very worn. Most drum teeth are more or less round though some are a bit angular where they tile together into a honeycomb like configuration. The outline of the tooth shown above (and the root) is more consistent with the stingray tooth. For reference (including a screen capture from the Elasmo.com website since it is impossible to link to directly).

Cheers.

-Ken

53sro97gvpa21.jpg

Elasmo.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

36 minutes ago, cck said:

Looks more like a drum tooth to me?

The earliest drum (Family Sciaenidea) are Oligocene or Miocene. I think Douglas Point is Paleocene.

Another great example of using the known formations to exclude possibilities while making an ID. Just like we can categorically state there are no dinosaur fossils in South Florida which was underwater the entire time the dinos were stomping around in other parts of the country.

Cheers.

-Ken

11 minutes ago, cck said:

I only say drum because I collect lots of crushing teeth from the Aquia... maybe not drum per se....but similar

You might be finding isolated wrasse teeth. Maybe if you post some of the your nicer ones they can be identified.

I agree with Eric.  The tooth is a very worn ray tooth,  Hypolophodon cf sylvestris, missing the root.  There are lots of wrasse teeth in the Aquia Formation.  No drum teeth that I've ever seen.

Marco Sr. 

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

2 hours ago, cck said:

The teeth I was referring to...

0DF5C54E-573C-443F-84C5-1E89BBAB0435.jpeg

I found a few just like these, thought drum fish, but they were not big enough like the ones I find at Calvert cliffs.

Thanks for the correction and knowledge... the Potomac puts so much of different eras close... but it’s interesting that the tooth morphology and the inferred feeding habits are that long lived