Where to find Herkimer NY fossils

Rhiguita

I am heading to Herkimer for a trip soon, and I was wondering if anyone knew any places one could find fossils? I heard some of the mines have stromatolites but I could not find much information on that. I also hear about trilobites near the diamond mines, and I hope to find some, and if anyone has any advice that would be appreciated.

32 minutes ago, Rhiguita said:

I am heading to Herkimer for a trip soon, and I was wondering if anyone knew any places one could find fossils? I heard some of the mines have stromatolites but I could not find much information on that. I also hear about trilobites near the diamond mines, and I hope to find some, and if anyone has any advice that would be appreciated.

There are outcrops of the trilobite layers all along West Canada Creek that runs along Route 28, north of Herkimer. There are numerous fishermen's pull offs, so parking is easy. 

That is probably your best bet for fossils near Herkimer.  Not sure if the Nowadaga Creek is off limits for hunting, but I have heard that it is. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Where to find Herkimer NY fossils
  • 10 months later...

Thanks for this!  I'm heading to Herkimer as well, and would love to come home with a pretty Trilobite.