jennifer.

It's a bone but it looks modern to me. Burn a small part to see if it gives off burnt hair smell. If so then it's modern.

• I found this Informative 2

Looks like a vertebra, I can’t help more than that unfortunately.

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with modern bone.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

15 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I agree with modern bone.

Thank you for replying. I’m new to all of this, so I have another question. What qualifies as a modern bone? 

23 minutes ago, Darbi said:

It's a bone but it looks modern to me. Burn a small part to see if it gives off burnt hair smell. If so then it's modern.

Thank you for the reply and the suggestion!

7 minutes ago, jennifer. said:

Thank you for replying. I’m new to all of this, so I have another question. What qualifies as a modern bone? 

Specimens are usually considered to be fossils if they are over 10,000 years old.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

7 minutes ago, Herb said:

Specimens are usually considered to be fossils if they are over 10,000 years old.

Is there a way to tell the age of this bone? 

5 minutes ago, jennifer. said:

not cheaply

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

10 minutes ago, jennifer. said:

You sometimes can carbon date the protein in the bone. Or you can carbon date the surrounding sediments.

Here is what a lab says about dating bones:

https://www.radiocarbon.com/ams-dating-bones.htm

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

14 minutes ago, jennifer. said:

Are there some bones this color normally? Or did something change the coloring? Or does the color change over time? 

2 hours ago, jennifer. said:

Are there some bones this color normally? Or did something change the coloring? Or does the color change over time?

They are not that color when new or fresh but change color usually due to being buried in sediments or fluids and absorbing minerals from the surroundings.  Quite often, bones will turn black or very dark over time and this indicates some age to them.  The problem is, the color change does not happen uniformly in every bone but rather is highly variable depending on the circumstances.  It could take a year, it could take a thousand years, it just depends.  That is why it is very difficult to say how old it is without some sophisticated testing as mentioned above.  

1 minute ago, ClearLake said:

They are not that color when new or fresh but change color usually due to being buried in sediments or fluids and absorbing minerals from the surroundings.  Quite often, bones will turn black or very dark over time and this indicates some age to them.  The problem is, the color change does not happen uniformly in every bone but rather is highly variable depending on the circumstances.  It could take a year, it could take a thousand years, it just depends.  That is why it is very difficult to say how old it is without some sophisticated testing as mentioned above.  

That makes sense. Your comment was helpful. Thank you! 

My pleasure. You can sort of see the process happening in your bone.  The outside is dark but the inside in much lighter and has been exposed due to breakage.  Over enough time, the whole thing would probably take on that darker color.  Happy beach hunting!!

On 8/19/2020 at 4:26 PM, Herb said:

not cheaply

Starts out at about three hundred dollars, which is more than most folks care to spend to find out they have a hundred-year-old cow or horse bone. Also, carbon dating gives you a time range as a result, for instance, 1000 to 3000 years. The more precise you want that range to be, the more it will cost, and in many cases may not produce better results. Google it and read about it.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!