Pennsylvanian Lepidodendron Mystery

historianmichael

I recently collected this piece with these two articulated fossils at an exposure of the Llewellyn Formation in Pennsylvania. They are respectively 14cm and 16cm in length. Based on an image in a book I initially thought they were Lepidostrobus (the cone of Lepidodendron) but now I am having my doubts. Examples of Lepidostrobus that I have seen on the Internet include the scales that come off the cone and these fossils clearly do not have these scales. On the other hand, these fossils have the typical diamond pattern that is characteristic of the bark of Lepidodendron, leading me to believe that these are examples of its branches. Yet they don't really look very branch-like with how thin they are and how much they bend. Does anyone know what these could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3716.JPG

IMG_4746.JPG

IMG_6598.JPG

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Lepidodendron branches sounds right to me. I think they would be pliable enough to be deposited this way. They were quite distinct from the trees we see today, and more like a giant club moss.

• I found this Informative 5