My biggest Tumido crab yet!

Doctor Mud

5 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Be cheaper to ship myself........hang on there’s an idea. Package arrives from me, opens it suprise!

:raindance:

Don’t forget to poke an air hole in the box!

On 8/21/2020 at 8:00 PM, Doctor Mud said:

Yes my biggest is in a 50 cm wide concretion. Still in NZ. Can’t wait to start that sucker. 

50 cm wide!!!  Holy Cow!!!   I dont envy you with all the rock removal on that one but oh man, that is going to be a whole lotta slow motion excitement!  Once you get to the crab that is.  Best of luck. 

RB

Oh, I do love watching crab fossil being exposed and brought back to life, even a long since dead one.  Looking great.

11 hours ago, RJB said:

50 cm wide!!!  Holy Cow!!!   I dont envy you with all the rock removal on that one but oh man, that is going to be a whole lotta slow motion excitement!  Once you get to the crab that is.  Best of luck. 

RB

I know! I get excited thinking about it, but then a little bit daunted. My most ambitious project yet! Definitely going to saw and chisel off as much as I dare.

6 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Oh, I do love watching crab fossil being exposed and brought back to life, even a long since dead one.  Looking great.

Thanks! I learn something new on every crab. It takes a bit of getting used to upscaling crabs. Where to expect things to be. And calcite..... always fun. 

12 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Definitely going to saw and chisel off as much as I dare.

This was one of the scariest things ive gone through for a crab!  But all turned out groovy.  I wish for you the very best of luck. 

RB

SplitcrabB.JPG

SplitcrabC.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, RJB said:

This was one of the scariest things ive gone through for a crab!  But all turned out groovy.  I wish for you the very best of luck. 

RB

SplitcrabB.JPG SplitcrabC.JPG

I remember this post. I’ve learnt a lot from your crab prep Ron!

i have photos of your finished crab on my phone. Always using it for reference and inspiration :thumbsu:

So when are you running the crab prep workshops? All us crab guys get together and learn during the day prep crabs and then eat and drink and be merry in the evenings.

im only partially joking. After this Covid thing of course.

Hey RB

Yeah, I've done on a number of my crabbie concretions and on large and thick plates of trilobites/crinoids when you could collect up in Ontario Canada.

On 8/27/2020 at 6:17 AM, Doctor Mud said:

i have photos of your finished crab on my phone. Always using it for reference and inspiration

I did not know this.  Makes me feel a bit special.  Thanks man

Ron

4DCF6EE9-7938-44AB-A00D-74BE6EB3F0BD.thumb.jpeg.898093bf998f020b10db477e4d4fad81.jpeg

Heres where I’m up to now.

Things slowed down since I’ve had problems with my ME-9100 scribe. But it forced me to do the delicate scribe work with the microjack is been putting off. Like the “island” of very very sticky rock on the top of the carapace. 

The legs on the left are a real nightmare! So soft and lots of layers of calcite. There are 2 more legs on that side to expose. 

The rock flakes off really nicely everywhere else. I discovered the dreaded hollow leg syndrome on the front right leg. I just ordered in some really thin superglue and precision nozzles as I had a hard job “force feeding” my current glue in the tiny cave opening. It would take ages for the air bubbles to come out.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

8490DB65-5B0A-4936-8B8D-AEBF00BACE2D.thumb.jpeg.3f1d2ce53c7f383e1a04aa21e8d93a38.jpeg86F2CF8F-AC73-4A16-800D-64C5EA40F904.thumb.jpeg.a16a55189cd11354260c8b04f30d29d5.jpeg

Heres the glue I ordered with really neat precision nozzles. It will be perfect for injecting glue into the hollow leg. I suspect the other legs on the right could be the same. 

• I found this Informative 4