Unknown Florida Tooth

RescueMJ

Found this specimen yesterday in inland Venice, Florida. This is the first time I have ever seen this fossil tooth. Pleistocene material (clay and shells are abundant 3 feet below surface.  Other finds in this 'field' have been meg teeth, sloth vert, dugong ribs, whale vert. I saw a possible example from Morocco online. Tooth is glossy and has circular bands.  Fossil is 20 mm high and 15 mm in diameter.  Thank you in advance for your assistance. I will post another oddity found today.

Regards,

Michael

IMG_8168.thumb.jpg.de3098da7dd044795a1139d88222ad4a.jpg DEPRESSION IN TOP OF TOOTH

IMG_8172.thumb.jpg.abb822dd3f781d003410c637323e5738.jpgIMG_8170.thumb.jpg.53ab9689a99adf64a63fa8a82d1e8a2d.jpgRaised ridge from top to bottom.  It is visible on left & right

IMG_8169.thumb.jpg.f8c6ff7e5bb80743dda726dc07282a96.jpgBOTTOM VIEW: 15mm diameter, slightly depressed in center.

This is a crocodilian tooth - likely from an alligator. The depression you pointed out is likely feeding wear. Nice find!

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

That was my guess. It is a new find in my search area.  Look at the other post with the smooth surface.