Stingray Mouthplate

Shellseeker

Found today. Any fossil with multiple ray teeth is rare for me. I have previously found a complete mouthplate about the size of a quarter. Then, 3/4 of a much larger mouthplate and it was oval in shape.

This one seems to be square or rectangular. Please identify the species and if possible, give me a photo of a single tooth.    Thanks....

IMG_5407txt.thumb.jpg.f1793e7ac11bdfaa82fb35d9aadaa43a.jpgIMG_5409E.thumb.jpg.3146be144ed97cce11865463e8bcd927.jpgIMG_5410.thumb.JPEG.ec3e35d55459eb2edc1139f0ad48ce6c.JPEG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Looks more like a piece of bone than a stingray mouth plate.

2 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

I agree with Eric.  The specimen does not look like a stingray mouth plate.

Thank you.  I have no doubts that you are correct.

Exciting :yay-smiley-1: I have hunting this area for going on 13 years. New stuff is rare to find.

More details.... 90+ % of fossils found in this location are marine pliocene_miocene.

The texture of the bone is similar to ray/fish mouthplates. I have not seen such texture on mammal osteoderms.

The bone is complete without visible attachments to other bones.

The fossil seems to be rectangle or square, and relatively thin.

Looking for suggestions.

UNK_BONEcrop.JPG.e022ebc746360ab6aadec46b4a762f0c.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

More details.... 90+ % of fossils found in this location are marine pliocene_miocene.

The texture of the bone is similar to ray/fish mouthplates. I have not seen such texture on mammal osteoderms.

The bone is complete without visible attachments to other bones.

The fossil seems to be rectangle or square, and relatively thin.

Looking for suggestions.

UNK_BONEcrop.JPG.e022ebc746360ab6aadec46b4a762f0c.JPG

Are you sure it isn't a piece of petrified tree bark?

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

7 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Are you sure it isn't a piece of petrified tree bark?

Marco Sr.

It is a good suggestion that I had not considered. At this point, I am not sure of anything. Just from knowledge of what exists out there, we have few choices. I am going to send it to the FLMNH identification service. Possibly they can use chemical or other tests to differentiate the basic character of the composition....