Cretaceous Shark tooth ID Help- Cenomanian from Russia

fossilsonwheels

I have a few unknowns from the Cenomanian of Russia that I am starting to get around to photographing and identifying. I am practicing with my actual camera instead of my phone so the pics are just ok but will get better lol

The first one is from near Fedoravka Tambov Region of Russia.

This one is about 13 mm or so. I think the ID when purchased was Cretoxyrhina but I do not know how accurate that is. I thought perhaps Cretalamna or maybe Dwardius or something completely different. I just do not know. It is a really striking tooth though and I would like to get some idea of what it is.

181.JPG

185.JPG

205.JPG

199.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The rest of the teeth are from the Saratov Region of Russia. These are from the Melovatka Formation and are also Cenomanian.

First of up is an unusual morphology. There are a few teeth of this type but not many. This is the best of the bunch in terms of potential ID. I believe this might be Pseudoscapanorhynchus which is a species found in Cenomanian depositis in Russia. I have never handled a tooth from the shark and found a little on line but not much. Right now that is my tenative ID for this type of tooth.

249.JPG

245.JPG

247.JPG

255.JPG

Another tooth type I found a few of in the Melovatka formation reminded me of Leptostyrax or perhaps Protolamna. I really have no idea except I do not believe this tooth to be the common finds in this formation like Archaeolamna or Eostriatolamia. It could a positional Eostriatolamia I suppose. This one is 8mm.

229.JPG

240.JPG

242.JPG

There were a couple of larger partials and I thought they might be enough for an ID. My guess right now is these will be Archaeolamna but could be something else.

The one in the middle looks very Cretalamna like to me but I am very unsure on that ID as I have been unable to positively ID Cretalamna from the teeth I got. 11 mm

The one on the right I have no idea but thought I post it anyway. 17mm

The one of the left is 14mm and I thought perhaps Cretalamna. It looked similar to a posterolateral tooth of Dwardius except the root looks too square. Archaeolamna could also be possible.

215.JPG

219.JPG

This is another one that looked like a Cretalamna. 9mm. I am not 100% sure on the ID as it could be a positional Archaeolamna or something.

One of the fun things about searching the 250 or so teeth we got from the Melovatka Formation is that outside of Pseudomehachasma, I had no idea what would be found with these teeth. I knew we would find primarily Archaeolamna and Eostriatolamia with some Sychecodus which we we did but we found some oddities and I can only really draw on the Cretaceous of the US as far as my own experience.

034.JPG

032.JPG

030.JPG

All 5 of these appear to me to be Cretoxyrhina. Very small 5-8mm Cretoxyrhina but Cretoxyrhina nonetheless. The top three I am very sure are as they are similar to other Cenomanian Ginsu I have or have seen. The bottom two also look like Cretoxyrhina might be the right ID but I am open to alternate suggestions.

008.JPG

This one I am totally unsure about. 7mm and the tooth it most resembles in my own collection are the Cretodus teeth from Texas that I have. I am not saying that is what this but as far as my own teeth go, that was the closest.

007.JPG

017.JPG

024.JPG

13 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

@siteseer @Al Dente @Chase_E

Maybe be one of you might have some thoughts. 

Hi Kurt,

We could use straight on shots of both sides but it looks like a Cretalamna tooth to me.  It doesn't seem to have the folds at the base of the crown to be a Cretodus.

Jess

43 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Hi Kurt,

We could use straight on shots of both sides but it looks like a Cretalamna tooth to me.  It doesn't seem to have the folds at the base of the crown to be a Cretodus.

Jess

Hi Jess

I can take some pictures but I’ll happily take Cretalamna as an ID. 

Any my thoughts on the other teeth ? 

Kurt