Another morning in Big Brook

butchndad

My 18th trip to Big Brook this morning. Trying to get to other spots not just the same honey holes. Explored the Kovalski tributary today. A lot of downed trees to climb over or under.  Unfortunately not very productive. My most interesting finds were a couple of broken bottles; one Hunyadi Janos Saxlehner Bitterquelle circa 1900 and the other the bottom of what looks like a wine bottle but very thick and clearly not made in a modern bottle factory. My most plentiful finds were the garbage - metal, plastic and mostly glass - which I pick up and carry out. I’ll be back next week and already psyched to go

E11923C6-2719-45E5-8021-0B9F3B11A285.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Hope you were wearing gloves, the venomous snakes are out and about here.  Got nailed three weeks ago.  Will get to keep most of my finger but only because of the leather gloves I was wearing.  Just saying, safety first.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

Hope you were wearing gloves, the venomous snakes are out and about here.  Got nailed three weeks ago.  Will get to keep most of my finger but only because of the leather gloves I was wearing.  Just saying, safety first.

you scared the heck out of me!  hope you're talking about Georgia

The few snakes you’ll encounter at Big Brook are not venomous. I’d be more anxious about ticks and Lyme disease.  And major Kudos for picking up the liter. I used to do that many moons ago when I collected there.  It even led me to find this big vertebra which I grabbed at first thinking it was a rusty can.191C39DE-6ED8-404F-8471-301EFA10AA67.thumb.jpeg.1eaa04a498dec777a4aa9d235962cfd5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

11 hours ago, butchndad said:

you scared the heck out of me!  hope you're talking about Georgia

Yep, Georgia.  They are out in force this year, three hospitalizations in one week.  Be safe.