Looking for a good "water shoe" for creeks

aplomado

I've got a pair of sandals that usually work great for creeks... but a couple of weeks ago I went to creek that was full of stones that continually worked inside my sandals.  

So, I would like another shoe that will keep stones out for use in creeks like that one.

Anyone know of a good, not too expensive, water shoe for creek use that might fit the bill?

I highly highly recommend investing in hard sole dive boots! They are a godsend.Even though the initial cost may seem a tad steep for some, they will last you for years.  They have enough traction for slick surfaces, flexible to wrap around feet, and perfect for water. The brand we use is Mares specifically the trilastic ones and could not recommend it more :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=mares+dive+boots&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS776US776&sxsrf=ALeKk03K2nU-D6VjcVBvMG07wVru4z9Rdg:1598198482563&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjqrNWm2bHrAhUKKawKHXz4B50Q_AUoAnoECA0QBA&biw=1440&bih=711

They zip up to have a snug fit around ankles to prevent rocks from getting in.

• I found this Informative 2

Whatever you go for... wear socks. I hate it when a pebble gets into boot, shoe, sandle

Socks.JPG.c73cdb0dabfef56d1411742c8ed5ba16.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thank you both!

I don't know exactly how the dive boots work... do they fill with water?  Do they have drain holes to let water out?

15 hours ago, aplomado said:

Thank you both!

I don't know exactly how the dive boots work... do they fill with water?  Do they have drain holes to let water out?

Not sure about others, but I have these. One time , I was hunting the Peace River, stepped on a board, had a spike in it,  which went right thru the boot bottom, and nicely between my big toe and the one next to it.

Next day, I got thick soled scuba boots.  Cost $50-60 and lasts about 5 years. Gravel and pebbles do get into the sides, mostly not. The boots fill with water, your body heats the water,  keeps your feet warmer. The boot is like a wetsuit, it allows water in/out thru the fabric.

Only problem I ever had was walking distances on land. These are not hiking boots.

DiveBoots.JPG.853258cd5f4d4d8dd456c94f0f507ce9.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

57 minutes ago, aplomado said:

Do you wear socks with scuba boots?

Hey !

I can't echo enough that scuba boots or even in my case 'Hiking' boots made for dingy sailing are the absolute best water-boots (they have a tough layer of rubber on the front). Keep your feet warm in bone cold conditions and the soles are nigh impenetrable. Like Jack said .. I've come back with huge slices in the boot soles but my toes are safe and sound.

Depending on the weather I will wear a tight-fitting wool sock for added comfort. Doesn't matter if it is 40 degrees of 95 degrees in the shade. When I am on the river in Savannah or knee deep in the creeks in South Carolina ... the boots and the socks come with me.

Cheers,

Brett

2018_Gill_Aero_Sailing_Boots_962_blk01_2.thumb.jpg.eec778970cb06b55800acb11cf278565.jpg

PS. My last pair of boots only ended their usefulness when I mistakenly left them on the side of the road (last year). I had used them for sailing and fossil hunting for about 12 years ?? up until that point. The price may seem steep for some but they will outlast almost every shoe you own.

Agreed with getting a pair of hard sole dive boots. I had tried regualr water shoes but walking along uneven river beds and rocky surfaces killed my feet. Purchased a pair of Frog Togg dive boots off of Amazon for around $40 and they work great. Hard sole helps a ton with walking on rocks and offers a lot of support. Also helps to keep out any sand and rocks like mentioned above. 

17 hours ago, Clint08 said:

Agreed with getting a pair of hard sole dive boots. I had tried regualr water shoes but walking along uneven river beds and rocky surfaces killed my feet. Purchased a pair of Frog Togg dive boots off of Amazon for around $40 and they work great. Hard sole helps a ton with walking on rocks and offers a lot of support. Also helps to keep out any sand and rocks like mentioned above. 

Which ones?

5 hours ago, aplomado said:

Which ones?

I bought the Frogg Togg Aransas ll for myself and like them, pretty sturdy and pretty well made. I should've ordered a size down as they run a little big.

The second ones are Cressi brand which my wife bought for her to use. They've also held up pretty well but they can slip a little bit on slick surfaces.

https://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-Aransas-Neoprene-Cleated/dp/B00G6TCCL4/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=frogg+togg+dive+boots&qid=1598452295&s=apparel&sr=1-16

https://www.amazon.com/Cressi-Minorca-3mm-black/dp/B00FS5RKDW/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=frogg+togg+dive+boots&qid=1598452295&s=apparel&sr=1-15

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 12:01 PM, NSRhunter said:

I highly highly recommend investing in hard sole dive boots! They are a godsend.Even though the initial cost may seem a tad steep for some, they will last you for years.  They have enough traction for slick surfaces, flexible to wrap around feet, and perfect for water. The brand we use is Mares specifically the trilastic ones and could not recommend it more :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=mares+dive+boots&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS776US776&sxsrf=ALeKk03K2nU-D6VjcVBvMG07wVru4z9Rdg:1598198482563&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjqrNWm2bHrAhUKKawKHXz4B50Q_AUoAnoECA0QBA&biw=1440&bih=711

They zip up to have a snug fit around ankles to prevent rocks from getting in.

I second this! I have had everything from sandals to flip flops to slides to the dive boots, and seriously the dive boots are amazing. I have Mares as well but I do not know how they compare to other companies. 

So, wearing wool socks is the thing to do with dive boots?  I am trying to imagine how wearing wet socks in a boot will work comfortably, and my imagination is failing me... :zzzzscratchchin:

I'm not a fan of waterlogged feet all day; so for about the last two decades, I have used more of a meshed shoe/sandal combo.  During warmer months here in Texas, something like Salomon's Techamphibian or Keen's McKenzie water shoe usually hold up under heavy use for a couple of years.  Sand or gravel in shoes is easily relieved with the quick release lacing. 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

11 hours ago, aplomado said:

So, wearing wool socks is the thing to do with dive boots?  I am trying to imagine how wearing wet socks in a boot will work comfortably, and my imagination is failing me... :zzzzscratchchin:

I'm having trouble imaging this as well. Sweaty feet in boots is enough to make me uncomfortable, I couldn't imagine them being water logged all day, and me still be in a good mood by the end of it. 

I like @JohnJ idea of sandals or meshed shoes, but I have never tried a scuba shoe/boot so maybe I just don't know what I am missing. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

4 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I'm having trouble imaging this as well. Sweaty feet in boots is enough to make me uncomfortable, I couldn't imagine them being water logged all day,

When your feet are essentially wet all day anyway, then the dive boots will keep them warm and safe, and the extra wool sock layer for me at least keeps a nice tight comfortable fit so there is no blisters and the like (dive boots can get kind-of slick and funky if you are in and out of the water). But then again, if you dinghy sail or dive all day you kinda get used to wet feet. So, when I know I'm gonna get wet/muddy and need some serious protection it's the dive (thick soled) boots.

And .. if you are just crazy enough you can head out in near freezing temperatures and your toes are snug and warm. But in my neck of the woods I had to worry about oysters, scrambling over barnacle covered rocks, rotten and rusty metal and deep mud and sand. So I found out being bullet-proof was better than a trip to the hospital.

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

When your feet are essentially wet all day anyway, then the dive boots will keep them warm and safe, and the extra wool sock layer for me at least keeps a nice tight comfortable fit so there is no blisters and the like (dive boots can get kind-of slick and funky if you are in and out of the water). But then again, if you dinghy sail or dive all day you kinda get used to wet feet. So, when I know I'm gonna get wet/muddy and need some serious protection it's the dive (thick soled) boots.

And .. if you are just crazy enough you can head out in near freezing temperatures and your toes are snug and warm. But in my neck of the woods I had to worry about oysters, scrambling over barnacle covered rocks, rotten and rusty metal and deep mud and sand. So I found out being bullet-proof was better than a trip to the hospital.

Cheers,

Brett

Thanks for the bit of clarification Brett. That makes sense! When you are going to be in the water all day anyway, being as comfortable and proctected as possible would be the way to go.

I'm more used to having wet feet and then walking around on dry land all day. Your feet become soft and essentially slip around inside the wet shoe, causing blisters, sore spots, and the like. Wet socks tend to compound the issue. In my line of work, I frequently have wet feet in the morning from dew or rain, by lunch time I am changing my shoes and socks, if not before.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

3 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Wet socks tend to compound the issue. In my line of work, I frequently have wet feet in the morning from dew or rain, by lunch time I am changing my shoes and socks, if not before.

Yeah, I had to experiment a bit to find the right mix for myself but cotton socks are the devil's spawn. Eventually I found that fancy hiking (read: usually expensive) thin wicking wool socks were the way to go to avoid any damage to the feet on all day wet days. I can't say it's 100% comfortable ?  haha .. but after a long paddle and sometimes a 6+ mile hike the feet are still here. The river is unforgiving here in Savannah.

I'm digging this thread though .. so many different collecting environments that each of us have had to adapt to... :zen:

B

• 2 weeks later...

I wear these with ankle socks to collect around rocky lakes - very good, fit like glove.  Clapzovr bought on Amazon.  Needed something very grippy on wet and sharp rocks - much better than dive boots and hiking boots, which I have also tried. Very lightweight and rubbery, seems almost like being barefoot.  Your feet will be wet all day but at least they can breathe.

9-24-2020 10-09-57 AM.png