Pseudhipparion tooth?

diginupbones

The tooth seem too large for Pseudhipparion, but the scale in the images is inadequate.  Give us the actual crown length and width.  This Equus tooth guidance will work for your tridactyl horse tooth.

horse_upper_measurements.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

21 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

The tooth seem too large for Pseudhipparion, but the scale in the images is inadequate.  Give us the actual crown length and width.  These Equus tooth guidance will work for your tridactyl horse tooth.

Yes,I see now how deceiving the measurements are in that first photo.APL=16mm and TRW is also 16mm. MSCH=35mm

Well, I don't think it's P. skinneri, but there are other species of Pseudhipparion that it might be.  It's beyond my ability to pin it down for you.  Research which species you have in your collecting area.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

16 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

These were identified by Richard Hulbert at the FSM.  For comparison:

5f430cb24135a_horsepseudHaile19AA.JPG.f7fbd0b356f4dc14a07f6eceb2c2960b.JPG

5f430cb3941dc_horsepseudhipparionHaile19aA.thumb.JPG.10bca3fb6cbe8ed41f167e0ae41e21fb.JPG

Thanks, Harry for sharing .  Outstanding presentation also. I will add your photos to my private collection.

3 hours ago, diginupbones said:

Yes,I see now how deceiving the measurements are in that first photo.APL=16mm and TRW is also 16mm. MSCH=35mm

diginupbones, in small horse teeth you can see how critical these 3 measurements are... If you plan to find more horses, you should get us confident in your hand measurements.

I had an email discussion with Richard Hulbert a couple of years back, on teeth I had photos from friends but no measurements. Actually never managed to get them BUT Richard replied.

Horse #3.  This tooth seems to have a lot of the crown remaining, so closure of hypoconal groove into a “lake” at this wear stage is unusual for a Nannippus and what is found in Pseudhipparion.  Would need to know occlusal dimensions to determine which species of Pseudhipparion (i.e., P. simpsoni vs. P. curtivallum).

I do not know if this adds anything... just a comparison that Hulbert thought it might be P. simpsoni

5f43179246060_Horse3NannippusUpper.jpg.f760705d0dded16053813fb7ee54b511.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks for the great info guys! I’ll do some more research on this and post if I come across anything new or interesting.

Did this side by side... Lots of similarities but also lots of differences. I am good enough to think your tooth is a Pseudohipparion, and if I had the measurements and if the measurements were APL=16mm and TRW is also 16mm , then I would risk and ID.  But I think that you need to find out which of these Pseudohipparions existed in your hunting area...SidebySidePseudohipparion.thumb.jpg.36d2c3b7315832f55fefbdb47ac615bc.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

15 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Did this side by side... Lots of similarities but also lots of differences. I am good enough to think your tooth is a Pseudohipparion, and if I had the measurements and if the measurements were APL=16mm and TRW is also 16mm , then I would risk and ID.  But I think that you need to find out which of these Pseudohipparions existed in your hunting area...

I know that I had some drawings that led me to believe that this was simpsoni originally but I need to sort through my piles of paper and saved documents to find them.