Plant ID, total newbie

bexmoon

Hi, just looking to find out what I found today. The biggest I've found at Seaton Sluice beach in coniferous area, Northumberland in UK

DSC_0542.JPG

DSC_0541.JPG

_20200823_120753.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

i dont have a clue, but it is very neat.  I an thinking that it may not be marine, but something that washed in.  I'm sorry but what time period is it from.

4 hours ago, 10313horn said:

i dont have a clue, but it is very neat.  I an thinking that it may not be marine, but something that washed in.  I'm sorry but what time period is it from.

I'm not sure of the time period, copied this from a useful site if it helps... 

The Carboniferous Coal Measures at Seaton Sluice are from the Silesian (Upper Carboniferous) of Westphalian age, (Asturian Substage). They form part of the Halesowen Formation of the Warwickshire Group. 

4 hours ago, dhiggi said:

Have you found several specimens like this? 
Curious to see one broken open if you did have one to spare

Just found the one. I daren't break this one open in case I ruin it! 

5 minutes ago, bexmoon said:

Just found the one. I daren't break this one open in case I ruin it! 

No, definitely don’t do that! It’s a very interesting piece 

2 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

No, definitely don’t do that! It’s a very interesting piece 

I love it! Just wish I knew what it was! Fern perhaps? 

16 minutes ago, bexmoon said:

I love it! Just wish I knew what it was! Fern perhaps? 

I’m merely a keen amateur, but I don’t recall ever seeing plant fossils from the area that aren’t darker than the rock. It doesn’t look like it can easily be dismissed as some kind of septarian nodule though.

Any thoughts @TqB ?

there are alot of people that know a great deal about paleobotany and I am not one of them but it reminds me of the leaf impression of lepiodendron particularly if roughly handled before it fossililized.  enclosed is a google search picture which shows a lot more leaves on a branch but the individual leaves a similar shape to yours

lepsternbranch2.jpg

31 minutes ago, 10313horn said:

there are alot of people that know a great deal about paleobotany and I am not one of them but it reminds me of the leaf impression of lepiodendron particularly if roughly handled before it fossililized.  enclosed is a google search picture which shows a lot more leaves on a branch but the individual leaves a similar shape to yours

lepsternbranch2.jpg

Thanks, yes some of the leaves look similar. I'm thinking might not be a real fossil now, maybe a pseudo fossil? 

Many leaves fossilize as films, they are very thin and very fragile;  the classic being the st clair fern fossils.  yours is clearly not a fern, but I would not dismiss it as a pseudo fossil

gallery_13044_2177_432398.jpg

I'm looking at the way the markings are apparently only on the surface of a water worn rock and curve around the edge of it.  It's interesting but I suspect it may be where something modern has been wrapped around it - I haven't seen any fossil plant material from around there that looks like that.

Edited by TqB

Tarquin

2 hours ago, TqB said:

I'm looking at the way the markings are apparently only on the surface of a water worn rock and curve around the edge of it.  It's interesting but I suspect it may be where something modern has been wrapped around it - I haven't seen any fossil plant material from around there that looks like that.

Yes, that's what got me thinking it might not be a fossil as it's on the curved edge...

It may just be a pretty rock for your garden but i would take it to a museum or to your local fossil club and see what they think looking at it and not just photos.

I'd like to see a close-up of the round thing that's sticking out of it.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

17 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I'd like to see a close-up of the round thing that's sticking out of it.

Isn’t that a live limpet?

Modern root etching?  :headscratch: :shrug:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

Isn’t that a live limpet?

Yes, I see it now. Thanks.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Wondering if you could take a picture from the side with good light on the below area:

image.png.bfecca07053ff7a34d7bb371b5cf8fb9.png

Sideways facing the crack. 

On 26/08/2020 at 9:31 PM, Planko said:

Wondering if you could take a picture from the side with good light on the below area:

_20200831_182214.JPG

DSC_0564~2.JPG

On 26/08/2020 at 9:31 PM, Planko said:

Here's a few more, showing different angles. Thanks for replying! 

DSC_0566~2.JPG

Thank you for the pics. I will keep searching but my idea was not confirmed with the pics. Interesting how the structure wraps with the curve and even bends with the crack. I also thought they might be etch but there is some depth to them. Although not much. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I had a guy from the Natural History Society at a local museum have a look and they think it's a fossil of the roots of a Lepidodendron. Apparently these are not too uncommon in the North East.

Thanks for everyone having a look!