Hi! 

this is quite a big spinosaurus tooth and i wonder if this tooth have been through a process of repair and restoration or not

i personally think this tooth have some restoration&reconstuction to the root and reconstuction and gap fill near the tip.... i am not sure and would love if someone can correct me on that

thank a lot guy and stay safe! 

FB_IMG_1598241363631.jpg

FB_IMG_1598241366194.jpg

IMG_20200824_112038.jpg

IMG_20200824_111856.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Yes. Doctored tooth. The tooth came from a Spino with a PhD. :heartylaugh:

Joking aside, I do think the tooth has some repair work. In particular, the areas you circled where the detail disappears are suspicious. There should be vertical ridges that you can trace all the way from the tip to where the root meets the crown. The fact that they are present in some parts of the tooth and disappear in the parts that you circled is a bad sign. 

12 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Yes. Doctored tooth. The tooth came from a Spino with a PhD. :heartylaugh:

i knew it! someone gonna say that.. hahaha anyway thank for the comment dude! 

The area around the base of the tooth actually looks good. I don't think that's been altered. The other circled area on the crown does indeed look altered though. The tip of the tooth seems to match in both colour and shape. So this might just be a repaired tooth. But it could be a composite just as well. From just these photos I cannot tell which it is.

With some prep it might be possible to tell if it's a composite or just repaired.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

12 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

The area around the base of the tooth actually looks good. I don't think that's been altered. The other circled area on the crown does indeed look altered though. The tip of the tooth seems to match in both colour and shape. So this might just be a repaired tooth. But it could be a composite just as well. From just these photos I cannot tell which it is.

With some prep it might be possible to tell if it's a composite or just repaired.

thank a lot! and sorry for the photo i should have ask seller for better photo.