Graduating from a Dremel to an air pen/scribe

dhiggi

My daughter and I do most of our collecting around the Whitby area where we mostly collect ammonite nodules with high iron content, making them very hard.

I have tried prepping them with a Dremel rotary tool and while it often works quite well around the outer whorls it barely scratches the centre. 
I’d like to step up to using an air pen or similar but it looks a heck of a jump in terms of cost. Initial research looks like it’s going to cost £400-500. Is this a realistic estimate for entry level, but decent equipment?
I wouldn’t want to throw a couple of hundred at poor quality gear that isn’t up to the task. (I’ve seen cheaper alternatives on a popular auction site that are shipped from China that I’m keen to avoid) 

Any advice is greatly appreciated 

Don't forget to account for the other costs associated with using a pneumatic scribe: Compressor, air filters, hoses, PPE, dust remediation, and magnification.

Often, these costs far exceed the cost of the scribe.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Don't forget to account for the other costs associated with using a pneumatic scribe: Compressor, air filters, hoses, PPE, dust remediation, and magnification.

Often, these costs far exceed the cost of the scribe.

Thanks for the advice, I’ve seen a ZOIC starter kit for £550 that seems to include everything. Do you think it’s fair to say that’s about the minimum I’d need to spend to get set up?

17 hours ago, aek said:

I recommend Ken Mannion tools. He's in UK.

Thank you, they seem more expensive than what I’ve already seen though 

1 hour ago, dhiggi said:

Thanks for the advice, I’ve seen a ZOIC starter kit for £550 that seems to include everything. Do you think it’s fair to say that’s about the minimum I’d need to spend to get set up?

I'm not familiar with this. Do you have a link you can send me in a PM? I'll gladly take a look for you.

This is not a cheap hobbie but Id check out what aek has suggested.  Ken Mannion.  Hes been around for a very long time and lives in the UK.  Good luck

RB

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to go for the Chicago from Zoic Palaeotech. The only problem is I can’t get a go myself :rolleyes:

We went for a very long walk today to stock up on ammos to practice on...

E85B2734-457E-45FE-BFB2-DE1C738482A6.jpeg

92E739C1-9AE3-4AE5-8194-5D58BA2823EC.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1