Modern fish bone/dermal denticle?

bthemoose

I found the object below recently while on a non-fossiliferous beach on Maryland's eastern shore (Atlantic Ocean side). It's not a fossil, though I'm hoping someone here might know what it is. The pointy end on what I'm calling the "top" is translucent, hard, and looks toothy. My first thought was possibly a dermal denticle, though I'm not sure the tripod "base" is right for that. The whole thing is light but fairly solid--i.e., while I haven't wanted to break it, it doesn't bend when I apply moderate pressure. Any ideas on what this is?

5f4458e986f5b_Modernfishbone.thumb.jpg.35bdb0d6b5dc19d3e49343c1deb02481.jpg

16 minutes ago, old bones said:

Porcupine fish spines?

Interesting. That looks like a match. Thank you!

Yes, I used to find them occasionally in Georgia.  I've got some great shots of dead ones .... and of course the fossil mouthplates we associate with them !  Chilomycterus sp.  a burrfish/porcupine fish

Image Credit: Santa Rosalia, Baja California Spotfin-Burrfish Chilomycterus reticulatus

SantaRosalia_BajaCalifornia_Spotfin_Burrfish_Chilomycterus_reticulatus_01.thumb.jpg.df7a5454450603de890a6470769d38c6.jpg

Image Credit: Porcupine Fish, Skeleton Burs Chilomycterus schoepfi (South Carolina)

5f446b37089c3_PorcupineFish_SkeletonBurs_Chilomycterusschoepfi.JPG.947f337d1c98dd7d6c50651cda2826ac.JPG

fossil Chilomycterus sp.

Chilomycterus_Low.thumb.jpg.13d42de1011da06e0a9cbb39cbe4cc6d.jpg

16 minutes ago, bthemoose said:

Interesting. That looks like a match. Thank you!

• I found this Informative 3