Pathological? Shark teeth

PrehistoricWonders

Hey, 
I've got this meg that I think could be pathological, but I’m not sure. Here are a couple pics.

146CDDE2-E9F7-4DB5-9EBC-5C67E91A928A.jpeg

45DEB1FF-FC13-464C-9104-955A98CCC8F0.jpeg

So, would that be considered a pathology, or not, I could see both arguments, technically it would be considered a pathology, but if it’s a common occurrence, I could see collectors saying it wasn’t.

On 8/24/2020 at 7:34 PM, Familyroadtrip said:

could be pathological

Usually you can see true pathology in teeth that are twisted or malformed. These kinds of psudo-pathologies (? is that a word)  are not uncommon in larger teeth from older individuals. My O. angustidens (old photo mind the penny) with similar 'folds'

5f48940d60fc1_01_Charleston_SC_Angy_012117_73.thumb.jpg.1f193aade47e3b51c8196de97ca3fa4c.jpg

Occasionally there are references to the wrinkles or crenulations in shark teeth that were possibly driven by changes in diet. Or in this case maybe old age ?

Check this reference out on P.125

Megalodon - Hunting the Hunter (Mark Renz)

"Meg with wavy enamel. It could be a sign of true pathology, but researcher David J. Ward believes it could be a sign of old age. From the private collection of Gordon Hubbell.

https://books.google.com/books?id=cMRe5GmDXmUC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

A pathology arises, by definition, from disease or injury.  I don't think you can ascribe the marginal wrinkles to either of these causes.  You might call it an anomaly associated with large size, like gray hair is associated with old age in some mammals.  Here is a pathology:

shark_csokolowipatho.jpg.914e516dca77444e1e707ca30af00d42.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest