Help Identify Misc. Finds From Post Oak Creek

LCwildcat94

I am a complete noob when it comes to fossil hunting. I recently got into it, along with my oldest daughter, and decided to go to Post Oak Creek in Sherman, TX. In the four hours that we sifted through the creek bed, we were able to find over 95 shark teeth. However, we did end up with a few of these random items as well. I know most are probably geological formations, but I wanted to bring them before some more experienced people to see if any were worth keeping. I can provide better lighting and closer shots of individual items if needed. Thanks in advance for the help!

IMG_6474.thumb.jpg.8763da82e449ae04c2d4b2feb26e0b59.jpg

Edited by LCwildcat94

Glad you were both able to find a lot of stuff! I'd love to see the shark teeth y'all found.

1. Mineral (likely calcite)

2. *

3. Bryozoan

4. Bryozoan (?)

5. Mineral (likely calcite)

6. Mineral (likely calcite)

7. Could be a mould of some kind...not sure

8. Mineral (likely calcite)

9. *

10. *

11. *

12. Need closeup

13. *

14. *

15. *

*: It's hard to get photos of small, dark fossils and stones. Most of these look like concretions or other rocks. If they are fossils, they're likely unidentifiable bone fragments. If you really just gotta know, send better lit photos of these. 

53 minutes ago, LCwildcat94 said:

I am a complete noob when it comes to fossil hunting. I recently got into it

Exercise caution, it's an addictive practice. :)

• I found this Informative 2

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

On 8/24/2020 at 11:22 PM, ThePhysicist said:

Glad you were both able to find a lot of stuff! I'd love to see the shark teeth y'all found.

1. Mineral (likely calcite)

2. *

3. Bryozoan

4. Bryozoan (?)

5. Mineral (likely calcite)

6. Mineral (likely calcite)

7. Could be a mould of some kind...

IMG_6463.jpg

It's not a great pic of our find, but it is the only one I got of all before they were divvied up between the two of us. The largest are about the width of a quarter.

GROUP IMAGES of more than a few fossils are not effective. The more individual fossils in an image, the greater the amount of table-top is in the image. Viewers cannot see the details of a fossil that might take up less than five percent of the total image. Photograph a single fossil (or two or three, if they're tiny), and post that image.

DON'T OBSCURE details of the fossil by pinching it between your fingers. If you want to use fingers to provide scale, support the fossil from below ... that is, on top of your fingers. To improve the focus, rest your hand with the fossil on a stable surface like a table or desk.

SCALE is important.  Provide measurements of your fossil in millimeters and inches for the widest audience.  Don't use a coin for scale; there are many foreign subscribers who don't know your coin's size.

LIGHT IT UP. Use as much ambient light as possible to reduce shadows...two light sources are a minimum. Eliminate yellowed images caused by tungsten filament bulbs by switching to the new compact flourescent bulbs. CFLs come in a "daylight" (6500K) version that you can use in any (non-dimming) fixture and produce very little heat. Some LEDs produce a near-daylight effect.

ELIMINATE SHADOWS by elevating the fossil on a glass or colorless plastic stage a couple of inches above the background. Illuminate the fossil AND THE BACKGROUND in this configuration. There are numerous things around the house to use for this purpose, from scrap window-glass to disposable plastic food/drink containers.

• I found this Informative 6

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest