Mammals (insectivores) from the Eocene/Oligocene M&M Ranch in Nebraska

10 hours ago, digit said:

Very nice! Excellent opportunity to have a geologist that makes house calls. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken

The geologist researcher has spent a lot of time with both the Chadron and Brule Formations so he is very familiar with the different formation layers.  He wanted to make sure that he had the right time-frame for each of the 19 areas of the ranch that the specimens came from for his paper.  His geologic findings will also be of great use to the other researchers.

I google searched to check for graphics showing the Chadron and Brule formations, their time-frames,  where the Orellan age of mammals was placed, etc.  Everything that I looked at was slightly different.  What really caused most of the differences was the fact that early researchers used the types of fossils found in the layers to originally date the layers.  Later geologists used the layer composition and different dating techniques and discovered that some of the layers were older than originally thought.  So with the confusion on the layer dating, it was really great to get a geologist familiar with the latest layer time-frames to visit the anthill sites.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

I can understand the reason for the confusion between using index fossils and other dating techniques. Best way of clearing this up was to have an expert with boots on the ground at the site. Glad that there is such interest in the wealth of fossil material that you've recovered that someone was motivated to give the M&M Ranch such a great geologic assessment. Hope your sons learned some useful new information about their local geology.

Cheers.

-Ken

14 hours ago, digit said:

I can understand the reason for the confusion between using index fossils and other dating techniques. Best way of clearing this up was to have an expert with boots on the ground at the site. Glad that there is such interest in the wealth of fossil material that you've recovered that someone was motivated to give the M&M Ranch such a great geologic assessment. Hope your sons learned some useful new information about their local geology.

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken

My sons actually learned a lot about the geology of the ranch.  As examples, two small areas that we knew were Eocene but seemed out of place with the immediate surrounding deposits were Eocene channel deposits and a surface layer in the flats in the front part of the ranch was really Eocene, instead of Oligocene as we had thought, based upon the new dating of the layers.

Marco Sr.

• 1 year later...

Below is a recent update, from Dr. Clint Boyd, on the status of the mammal paper being written by Dr. Clint Boyd, Dr. William Korth, and Dr. Deborah Anderson on the mammal micro specimens that I donated from the M&M Ranch back in 2016/2017.  Originally there were going to be multiple papers, but the researchers are now combining the rodents, insectivores, marsupials and carnivores into one combined paper. Covid did slow this paper down significantly, but progress is now being made.  Sounds like this will be a significant paper.  I'm not really sure where you publish such a large paper.

"In terms of the paper on the current sites, Bill Korth just emailed me yesterday to say he is about done with the sorting, identifying, describing, and figuring of that material. The paper currently stands at about 180 manuscript pages, and he has identified 70 species so far. I’ll get you an updated faunal list when I have one. Several new species. The descriptive part of the paper will be the largest part, but we will now need to finish up the introduction, geology, and interpretation, which will take some work still. Our hope is to have it finished up this fall or winter to send out for review. I’ll keep you updated on progress as it goes."

I recently sent (August 2021) additional micro mammal specimens from the ranch (from high up in the buttes which are later Oligocene) to these researchers which will be the subject of a future paper.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

I look forward to seeing Korth's paper on these things.  Thanks for theupdate.

12 hours ago, jpc said:

I look forward to seeing Korth's paper on these things.  Thanks for theupdate.

I had tried to get Dr. Korth to look at these mammal specimens back in 2016, but he didn't have the time then.  He did look at my TFF posts on the micro specimens from the M&M Ranch and gave me some IDs from the pictures.  However, he later retired and then got bored and luckily Dr. Boyd and Dr. Anderson were able to get him involved with my micro mammal specimens.  Dr. Korth is definitely an expert researcher on White River Badlands mammals, and I was extremely happy when he got involved and took the lead on the paper.

Marco Sr. 

ParkerPaleo

I'm very interested to see this research as well.  I'll be watching for it.

• I Agree 1
12 hours ago, ParkerPaleo said:

I'm very interested to see this research as well.  I'll be watching for it.

I'll try to update this post, especially if the paper gets to a publisher and is accepted for publication.

Marco Sr.