Pterosaur bone?

FF7_Yuffie

Hello, 

Any thoughts on this? Sold as a pterosaur finger bone--repaired in two places. From Kem Kem basin. Seller describes it as being dense but lightweight.

10.3 cm long

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Like a view of the broken ends to see if its hollow and its thickness.  All the photos are from the same side.

• I found this Informative 2

12 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Like a view of the broken ends to see if its hollow and its thickness.  All the photos are from the same side.

I've requested some more photos from the seller. Unfortunately, it says he's away until 31st, so I think auction may have ended before I get them. If he sends them, I'll post it up.

I got a bone just like this. I am not sure what it is but it always remembered me of a rib bone.

image.png.a7e4704c1f23bd861bc02d52df2a971a.png

Here is the broken view (above side on picture above). It's blurry since it's small and I enlarged it, but it's pretty much an '8' shape.

image.png.ab430dc02ba47637df4b76b7f7542b00.png

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Isn't that another way of saying small ?

I took it to mean relatively thick and strong but lightweight.

11 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

I got a bone just like this. I am not sure what it is but it always remembered me of a rib bone.

image.png.a7e4704c1f23bd861bc02d52df2a971a.png

Here is the broken view (above side on picture above). It's blurry since it's small and I enlarged it, but it's pretty much an '8' shape.

image.png.ab430dc02ba47637df4b76b7f7542b00.png

Nice, that it is a lot like it. It's from Kem Kem too?

12 minutes ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Nice, that it is a lot like it. It's from Kem Kem too?

Yes, it's a Kem Kem bone.

3 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Yes, it's a Kem Kem bone.

Cool. Knowing what to look for now, I found this thread with a few similar looking fossils.

Would you say the 4th post, 2nd pic is a match for yours? Apparently a wing phalange?

19 minutes ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

I took it to mean relatively thick and strong but lightweight.

Why ?

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Why ?

I always figured dense was more about thickness/hardness rather than the actual size of something. Like how they say "the fog is too dense" or bone density.

3 minutes ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Cool. Knowing what to look for now, I found this thread with a few similar looking fossils.

Would you say the 4th post, 2nd pic is a match for yours? Apparently a wing phalange?

No, that does not seem to be a match. Broken end is triangular rather than 8-shaped. I also don't see that groove in that wing bone.

Just now, gigantoraptor said:

No, that does not seem to be a match. Broken end is triangular rather than 8-shaped. I also don't see that groove in that wing bone.

Ah, ok. Guess it's one I'll wait to see if the seller gives me a pic of the ends to see the shape of them. But yeah, now you mention it, that groove that's on yours and the one I'm looking at isn't present.

8 minutes ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

I always figured dense was more about thickness/hardness rather than the actual size of something. Like how they say "the fog is too dense" or bone density.

D = M/V High school physics :)

1 hour ago, gigantoraptor said:

Looks solid correct? and it does look like a rib and very similar to the one in question.  

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Looks solid correct? and it does look like a rib and very similar to the one in question.  

Yeah it's solid but has a low weight indeed. Far from sure What it belonged to however.

So, if its rib, I'm guessing it'll be a case where it's too difficult to tell much further from an isolated bone.

I dont believe this to be a pterosaur bone these types of bone are exceptionally thin around 1 to 3mm thickness and are usually crushed in some way here is an example I have a much larger bone and will photograph later for reference purposes.

PSX_20200825_164541.jpg

I did see this image on a fossil site about Georgia’s Pterosaur, I can’t say the info is correct but it is worth a look. 

87722B65-AB1E-4BCB-9496-5D3C4C05051A.jpeg

For reference, this is different "finger bone" sold about 2 weeks ago from the same seller. I didn't really go for it with serious attempt, and bailed the bid early on since I wasn't sure.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.77681206f66dedced8e031e598470577.jpg