What type of coral is this?

my2badfeet

Hi there, new member here, what an incredible forum this is!  I'm learning so much.  

Living in NE Indiana, USA, we are quite aware of a number of types of coral fossils.  My five-year-old son has found hundreds of types of coral fossils in our landscaping rock alone.  We also found all manner of fossilized shells and even a few trilobites!

This weekend we stumbled across a fossil in a nearby creek bed and aren't sure what to make of it.  Any help is appreciated!

IMG_20200825_144034.jpg

IMG_20200825_144058.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Neat find. I would hazard a guess that this might actually be a stromatoporoid, with those bumps being what are called mamelons. 

Looking forward to seeing all your other finds!

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome to the Forum!  Hard to say exactly what that is.  You also have to remember that if you are finding it in a creek in NE Indiana, it is undoubtedly from glacial material and therefore could be moved a long distance and from a wide age range (although most likely Paleozoic).  

Thanks, all!  After reviewing all the options suggested here, we think Kane may have called it as a stromatoporoid.  It's a new one for us and we really appreciate all the quick detective work :)