Teeth from Niger

Kasia

Dear TFF Members,

I have recently purchased these two teeth - the seller said they come from Niger, Tenere, which probably makes them Pleistocene stuff, however which animal they belonged to, no idea.

Please help :))

No. 1

image.png.93e1e74a107990710ef0ead2c3e7f799.png

image.png.7fdd7e3fb08aad9bd7407c4b3ac6a19e.png

image.png.8cabe6ccb8d7ca57b7bfad92597e72a4.png

No. 2

image.png.0a2b8fc3d8c46636047332db9c5aac74.png

image.png.d5b29c8725ad2d349a5d3653df4f626f.png

image.png.8f71ae7a82d6ea3f9bfcb725b6b030f4.png

image.png.78ef7090a28b8116005c34034262ce9a.png

The Tenere is generally Cretaceous, but the top jaw piece is NOT Cretaceous, so modern or Pleistocene is a good guess.  It is some sort of ungulate, and there are only a few modern ones found in the depths of the Sahara.  If it is Pleistocene, there are a lot more choices. 

• I found this Informative 2

You find also in the tenere desert, neolithic axes and arrow heads, horse bones, hippo tusks, rhino teeth even fish and snake vertebrae, these are all modernish, sub fossils maybe around 50-60k years old.

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, Haravex said:

You find also in the tenere desert, neolithic axes and arrow heads, horse bones, hippo tusks, rhino teeth even fish and snake vertebrae, these are all modernish, sub fossils maybe around 50-60k years old.

and petroglyphs in the Sahara indicate a wider variety of critters living there than we see now.  

15 hours ago, jpc said:

The Tenere is generally Cretaceous, but the top jaw piece is NOT Cretaceous, so modern or Pleistocene is a good guess.  It is some sort of ungulate, and there are only a few modern ones found in the depths of the Sahara.  If it is Pleistocene, there are a lot more choices. 

13 hours ago, Haravex said:

Thanks guys,

both teeth are quite heavy and very hard, so I think they can be Pleistocene stuff :) If we talk about animals living in Sahara, the first guess would be probably a camel - and no. 1 looks like that. However no. 2 - still a puzzle :headscratch:

possibly Stockoceros(/Damaliscus?),but please don't quote me on this

edit:

antilocaprid,possibly,but Harrypristis might know?

He's a fount of craniofacial theriological wisdom

edit two:

the clustered teeth look like possibly Phacochoerus,the warthog

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

possibly Stockoceros(/Damaliscus?),but please don't quote me on this

edit:

antilocaprid,possibly,but Harrypristis might know?

He's a fount of craniofacial theriological wisdom

edit two:

the clustered teeth look like possibly Phacochoerus,the warthog

Thanks, you're a genius - the tooth does look like Phacochoerus africanus. I found a picture online and it looks like D:

image.png.e09959b3ef8c57c1e9a21cb5d2a0cf23.png

So cool :yay-smiley-1:

I also have a warthog skull and jaw and I also believe the last tooth is from Phacochoerus.

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, fossillarry said:

I also have a warthog skull and jaw and I also believe the last tooth is from Phacochoerus.

Thanks a lot for confirmation:thumbsu:

Would you be so kind and have a look at my other post regarding ID? It's called "Teeth and more" - there is a skull that still has not been identified. 

• 11 months later...