Thinking of purchasing one of these wondering if there’s any way to know it’s real

Georgemckenzie

Seen these on online thinking of getting one wondering if there legit and if there from that species thanks in advance checking here before buying 

DA1D5362-1111-4650-AA11-612305E44A9F.png

I myself would hesitate with any bone so fragmentary that's been labeled so precisely. With a larger piece it may be easier to tell because there are more identifying features. You can ask them how they know that, but I'm not sure if the answer will be satisfactory.

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, BellamyBlake said:

I myself would hesitate with any bone so fragmentary that's been labeled so precisely. You can ask them how they know that, but I'm not sure if the answer will be satisfactory.

I was thinking this myself cause Ino bone can be difficult to identify I’m trying to find some not so expensive pieces for my collection to bulk it up 

Agree not sure how anyone would know what the fragments are unless they were removed from a known Trex bone(s) or quarry.  Seller would have to convince you of that.

3 hours ago, Georgemckenzie said:

I’m trying to find some not so expensive pieces for my collection to bulk it up 

Collections tend to find a way of bulking themselves up and picking up speed and momentum as they do. It's nice to have a diversity of finds and if you are in an area where there are not a lot of fossil exposures, purchasing may be your easiest way to start building the collection. Consider quality over quantity though--a large collection of relatively nondescript pieces will not look as impressive as a few nicely chosen pieces. Keep your eye out for deals but if they look too good to be true consider passing them by us here first for our collective opinion. 

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1