val horn

Found this in a marine late cretaceous formation in Maryland.  Two bones that were immediately associated with each other.  I thought the flat bone was turtle when I saw it, but this other bone was just underneath it.  Now I really dont know what I am looking at.  help?

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

Interesting! I believe the long bone is a distal femur end, could be dinosaurian, here is a hadrosaur femur for comparison. More pictures from anatomical positions and precise formation info are necessary to verify though.

Hadrosaur Maiasaura Femur for SaleJuvenile-hadrosaurine-hindlimb-elements-A-D-left-femur-in-A-anterior-B-posterior-C_W640.jpg

The Tooth Fairy

It is severn formation marine near shore  appr 80 myo.  This is bone, most bone at this site gets a hard  irregular coating .  Maybe one could remove it with sandpaper maybe not without damaging the existing surface.  enclosed photos of shark teeth and mosasour tooth to show the typical coating.  also I have tried to get more classic anatomical photos.  I would be very excited to have a dino  bone.  Very occasionally some dino material has washed into this formation-- particularly in the similar marls in New Jersey.

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks for the pics! Definitely terrestrial material, I still think it's a Hadrosauroid distal femur. 4th trochanter position and the foramen size compares well to hadrosaurs and completely different from crocodiles and turtles. 

• I found this Informative 1

The Tooth Fairy

thank you for your help.  Hadrosauroid, wow.    That makes this a bucket list find for me.  Just noticed that you are from Kyiy,  My grandmother came from a small town near Kyiv.  Sometimes it is a small world.  

bucket-list.jpg

1 hour ago, 10313horn said:

Just noticed that you are from Kyiy,  My grandmother came from a small town near Kyiv.  Sometimes it is a small world.  

me too.  my grandfather was from Borispol (now spelled  Boryspil ) which is just outside Kyiv