Brachiopod? Giant Brachiopod? And a plant fossil?

Candelyn

Looking for ID help on the last 3 fossils of my childhood collection.  From Northern Arizona near Snowflake, AZ.  I would appreciate any information so I can share it with my 10 year-old grandson!  20200827_132420resized.thumb.jpg.10005fdaaa102f642ff4061c9b1efead.jpg

20200827_132457resized.jpg

Welcome to the Forum from

Scottsdale. 

I looked at a map of the Snowflake area. No marine formations in the immediate area. The fossils were probably moved by streams from the south where Cretaceous Dakota sandstone and Kaibab Formation limestone and chert contain marine shells. 

The center photo might be part of a scallop; see if it is calcite/limestone  and fizzes in strong vinegar.

The right photo contains scallops. Does it fizz in vinegar? Does a metal knife scratch it? If it is sandstone then it probably is from the Dakota Sandstone. If it is chert or limestone then it probably is from the Kaibab Formation.  

http://repository.azgs.az.gov/sites/default/files/dlio/files/nid1618/map-03-07_navajoapachecounty.pdf

See the fossil footprints found in northern Arizona by RetiredLawyer: 

Do you remember seeing any footprints in the area?

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I don't remember any footprints!  Nor do I remember my grandfather finding any.  He was quite the rock hound and mostly found petrified wood, Native American artifacts, and something he thought might have been a meteor.  But that was VERY interesting to read about!  My grandfather built his ranch house out of sandstone from his land.  I tried the vinegar test---neither stone fizzed.  They are both very hard rocks.  The smaller scallops rock could not be scratched at all.  The larger possible scallop might have scratched a very little on the underside.  None on the ridges.  But it appears to be the kind of rock that would break away in layers on the bottom.  I was the only grandchild that was very interested in rock hounding---but my recollection is that many marine fossils were found on my grandfather's ranch.  Like he might have said, "Oh yes, there are lots of sea shells..." when I showed him my find.  

Looking at the map, my grandfather's ranch is a little more than half-way from Snowflake to Woodruff on the east side of Silver Creek.  So that would mean Moenkopi Formation?  And Coconino Sandstone along Silver Creek.  And maybe a small dot of Shinarump Conglomerate?  Something green that I can't identify in the map.  Not that I really know what these mean---but did a quick Google search on them.  

So you are suggesting that these might have been from somewhere else---and probably brought along Silver Creek as it flooded?

Thank you so much for responding!