blue crocodile bones 2020

jpc

Way back in 2012 I found some blue crocodile bones in southwestern Wyoming and showed you folks some of them.  I started prepping them back then and put them down for other projects.  This spring as Covid19 kept me at home for a few weeks, I continued prepping this stuff.  I wish I could tell you guys how many hours I have on this, but I am afraid to add them up.  

The first photo shows what this looked like at the end of 2012, until earlier this year.

bluecroc2012.jpg.89e6030f99f93c88b447b494b1057be8.jpg

and as of today, it is done.   I can ID most of these bones, except the long wide one on the top left of the block.  I love the blue colors on these.  In the nextfew days I will try to provide you guys with a key yo these bones, but if y'all want to try to ID them... the challenge has been set.  (Note, some are turtle bones). 

P1000258b.thumb.JPG.1254d3ea05ee6befc1f5a2f8dd87e8a6.JPG

This one is my favorite... cool bone, exceptional coloring... a cervical rib.

P1000260b.thumb.JPG.dff6719f65db9d0ed681066d89712ab5.JPG

• I found this Informative 21

Wow that's an amazing piece! That blue coloration is fascinating, how common is it to see in the formation you found it in?

I remember when you posted this before. Such a cool specimen. Nice to see you finally found the time to prep it.

Good stuff.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Amazing!!! Is it going into the Tate Museum Display?   Wyoming, known for Blue Petrified Wood and now Blue crocodiles!!! 

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

Very "cool" colors! I've found some bone fragments from the Cloverly fm. with similar hues.

10 hours ago, Pemphix said:

I am curious: what caused the blue colour ? Iron- or copperminerals ?

Good question, and I think you answered it: the blue is likely from copper salts, but can't be sure without proper testing. It doesn't take much of the metal to color a fossil. Here's an analysis on some bones where copper was determined to be the staining metal: http://w.caves.org/pub/journal/PDF/V64/v64n2-Robles.pdf (unfortunately doesn't have any color photos of the fossils in question.)

Again, could be something else, but judging by the color alone, it looks like copper. This also raises questions about the environment in which it was mineralized. 

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

1 hour ago, ThePhysicist said:

Again, could be something else, but judging by the color alone, it looks like copper.

The iron phosphate vivianite is also a possibility.

I am trying to translate from an old mineral book:
"Vivianite is often a component of fossil bones and teeth. In 1877, a fossilized bird saurian was found near Stuttgart. All cavities of the bones and the bones itself were transformed into vivianite."

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Amazing!!! Is it going into the Tate Museum Display?   Wyoming, known for Blue Petrified Wood and now Blue crocodiles!!! 

Mike

not yet... it is in my personal collection for now.  But I will be dying someday.

11 hours ago, caterpillar said:

I can imagine a blue croc skull!!

I have been hoping to find it, but the three dimensional bones here are crushed, so I am afraid a skull would be very crushed.  Still I would love to find it, but the bones seem to have run out.  At least in this pocket.  

12 hours ago, Pemphix said:

I am curious: what caused the blue colour ? Iron- or copperminerals ?

I wish I knew... but now I have friends who have magic machines that can tell elemental composition.. (I think), so maybe there will be an answer in the future.  

• I found this Informative 4

What an amazing find! :o

I wonder if more will be found in the future! That piece must be one of a kind! :drool:

If there is any color correlation to the blue petrified wood, I would suspect tin as a source of the blue color: 

As the algae dried it shrank away from the wood, leaving a space that was later filled with minerals. It is thought that the element Tin, if present in the groundwater, caused specimens of Blue Forest petrified wood to exhibit blue crystalline quartz or microcrystalline chalcedony. 

From Jade State News

20 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

Wow that's an amazing piece! That blue coloration is fascinating, how common is it to see in the formation you found it in?

It is actually not common, but I have quite a few pieces of blue bones form here.  These are the best. 

That's a very impressive find and prepwork. I have never seen blue crocodile fossils before

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Very cool indeed.  Ya sure dont see too  many blue bones.  Very nice find JP.    oh, and that wide bone on the top left of the block, thats obviously Crocodilus widus.  :)

RB

On 8/27/2020 at 11:58 PM, jpc said:

Way back in 2012 I found some blue crocodile bones in southwestern Wyoming and showed you folks some of them.  I started prepping them back then and put them down for other projects.  This spring as Covid19 kept me at home for a few weeks, I continued prepping this stuff.  I wish I could tell you guys how many hours I have on this, but I am afraid to add them up.  

The first photo shows what this looked like at the end of 2012, until earlier this year.

bluecroc2012.jpg.89e6030f99f93c88b447b494b1057be8.jpg

and as of today, it is done.   I can ID most of these bones, except the long wide one on the top left of the block.  I love the blue colors on these.  In the nextfew days I will try to provide you guys with a key yo these bones, but if y'all want to try to ID them... the challenge has been set.  (Note, some are turtle bones). 

P1000258b.thumb.JPG.1254d3ea05ee6befc1f5a2f8dd87e8a6.JPG

This one is my favorite... cool bone, exceptional coloring... a cervical rib.

P1000260b.thumb.JPG.dff6719f65db9d0ed681066d89712ab5.JPG

Wow!  They look so cool! :envy: