daves64

Finally found a bug, completely by accident, that I could identify. I was looking at a piece of burmite with part of a leaf present when I noticed a tiny little insect just under the leaf. Using my 10 x loupe, it was fairly tiny, so I checked it with my dino-lite. It was what appeared to be a tiny wasp like critter. So after working the backside of the piece down a bit (not wanting to destroy the leaf) I got these views. Pic 1 is at 50 x, pics 2-4 are at 200 x with #4 being cropped & enlarged from 3. A tiny, short lived parasitic wasp that has (still exists today) odd shaped wings with a fringe on them. Pic 1 also shows the leaf pattern from the underside with possible patches of fungus present. Pic 4 was cropped & enlarged to show the delicate fringe on the wings a little better. The entire bug is slightly less than 1 mm long as near as I can tell.

50 x.jpg

200 x 1.jpg

200 x 2.jpg

200 x 3.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

very cool

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks