I & M Canal Corridor Association MAZON CREEK Trip

Nimravis

15 hours ago, connorp said:

I tapped all the unopened ones I collected and had about 20 split. Out of those, only one was blank. Some were unidentifiable debris, but ~19/20 having some fossil is certainly a far cry from Pit 11. Here are my better finds so far.

IMG_2.thumb.jpg.c10505f676db43e916eae744733118d8.jpg

15 hours ago, connorp said:

Euphoberia or am I being hopeful?

IMG_4.thumb.jpg.4d8b0ae7c84ba824c52b85a342bc547c.jpgIMG_5.thumb.jpg.0375c17ddd74c6fae765eb0fc3f50364.jpg

Wow, very nice plants and I think you are correct... two millipedes found this year!   Congrats on the great finds!

Next time say hello.  Was this your first year?

Cheers,

Rich

• I found this Informative 4

5 minutes ago, deutscheben said:

@connorp Nice millipede!!! It's so cool that you can see so many legs preserved on it, great detail. 

I am quite happy with it. This was my first time, I am still overwhelmed by what I found and still have 5 gallons to split this winter. Hopefully you can make it next year, I will definitely be going if I can.

• I found this Informative 3

Wow seems like a great trip that is already producing some really cool finds! Looking forward to whatever else might still turn up

• I found this Informative 1

12 hours ago, connorp said:

I tapped all the unopened ones

That is one thing that I did not do, I just brushed them off and place in a bucket. I might try to whack them over the weekend.

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

That is one thing that I did not do, I just brushed them off and place in a bucket. I might try to whack them over the weekend.

Tap first.   Some will open easy.   It's been my experience that the larger ones are harder.  Put them in the sun, that can pop them open, too.

Cheers,

Rich

17 hours ago, stats said:

Holes in the bank or in the bottom?  There are some banks that collect quite a few.  You can see and pop some concretions right from the river bottom.  Ralph posted a few pictures.

Deep spots that are 4+ feet deep when the river is barely or not flowing. These are the spots that are 7+ feet deep when the water is high and moving material downstream. The water moves slower in these deep spots and the concretions that are being moved downstream drop out of the flow in these spots, the same way rivers will concentrate gold nuggets. I have pulled as much as two 5-gallon buckets full from a single hole in a single visit. They are literally stacked like cord wood in these holes. I found three while I was still collecting, but I'm sure there's more.

• I found this Informative 5

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

This looks like great fun! Keep me in the loop about the plans for this next year; I should be in the area and would love to join!

• I found this Informative 2

46 minutes ago, jdp said:

This looks like great fun! Keep me in the loop about the plans for this next year; I should be in the area and would love to join!

I think the dates are posted around January. They also have a very nice cancellation policy in case your plans fall through.

Cancellation Policy. We require 24 hours cancellation notice prior to your Mazon Creek Tour for a full refund. A cancellation less than 24 hours before your scheduled Tour you will receive a voucher to attend next years Mazon Creek Fossil Tour.

4 hours ago, connorp said:

I think the dates are posted around January. They also have a very nice cancellation policy in case your plans fall through.

Correct, I reserved my spot on January 16th.

32 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Correct, I reserved my spot on January 16th.

I signed up in January, too.

Cheers,

Rich

@stats What's the best way to eliminate all the algae on these? I tried a 10% bleach solution for ~15 minutes, followed by scrubbing and a day soaking in water. This seems to have worked fine, but I don't know if there is a more preferred way.

1 hour ago, connorp said:

@stats What's the best way to eliminate all the algae on these? I tried a 10% bleach solution for ~15 minutes, followed by scrubbing and a day soaking in water. This seems to have worked fine, but I don't know if there is a more preferred way.

That's one way. Wire brush or coarse sandpaper will do the job too.

• I found this Informative 3

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I just noticed that I did not put this post under the Fossil Trip section, can’t believe I missed that.

I decided to break open a couple concretions today to see what I found, below are the pics.

Macroneuropteris-

133976CA-58E2-48F4-89E5-705DDCC2F27C.jpeg.5873a43b0bae97949e465e3497976d9a.jpeg

This next one was not complete (tip on the right hand pic was missing), but it still split nicely.

0ADF0C3B-7285-4066-8926-4438C491F117.jpeg.081c6070322611b12135edbee0a6af18.jpeg

Pecopteris-

6CCAACE6-6687-457F-81BF-BA2C8907B12A.jpeg.237f469c89cfc697eda708d065ba16b8.jpeg

9269E2FF-1C04-406B-BF3D-EFCEA540EEEE.jpeg.0b407ddc9cca30a2a0dba18ffbb7b14f.jpeg

Coprolite-

323D9B1B-7BF9-4C8C-B494-E48840D81FED.jpeg.49e4baf9005ee287a3cd94c9c4e71f60.jpeg

A partial lycopod leaf.

2A0D0979-422D-48CF-A31E-4134B515A33D.jpeg.e713fbc3cdf33f173528bcc9b55d162a.jpeg

This next piece was one of the weirdest concretions I have ever come across. It seemed to be solid and I cracked the covering and the inside was covered perfectly in mud. I still hit it with a hammer and the inner portion was solid and cracked to reveal a shrimp.

38A6B020-4383-4AA8-B860-7DA9CF7DA95B.jpeg.11e1e3c8fe18ea2deff0ae589acadb79.jpeg

413EB24D-A5EB-480C-A12B-A2D18C47F660.jpeg.db068fe26b19f1e836d25ccf1752c712.jpeg

B718ABC8-2183-4F62-BBDC-9EBA38697D88.jpeg.856490f415007afce338b9d96372f228.jpeg

2D0043D0-6420-46F8-9058-E89B5296FD2E.jpeg.a9c9e6734e2cdc16384cc674fce2a472.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

4 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I just noticed that I did not put this post under the Fossil Trip section, can’t believe I missed that.

You're covered.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

This is SO COOL!!!  I am mesmerized by your pics.  These concretions seem to me like magical Easter eggs with fossils inside. Thanks so much for sharing your pics.  Amazing.

7 minutes ago, HemiHunter said:

This is SO COOL!!!  I am mesmerized by your pics.  These concretions seem to me like magical Easter eggs with fossils inside. Thanks so much for sharing your pics.  Amazing.

Yes- some cool things can be found. Glad that you like the post.

2 hours ago, connorp said:

That's pretty much what i do.

Cheers,

Rich

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

I noiticed that... sorry should have said something.  Can they move it?

Cheers,

Rich

4 hours ago, stats said:

I noiticed that... sorry should have said something.  Can they move it?

Cheers,

Rich

John moved it.

Wow, awesome finds, everyone! It was a great trip and i enjoyed seeing so many of you, even if it was only half of your faces haha. I have yet to tap my finds but if any open I will post them.

@connorp That millipede is awesome! Congrats! I am so sorry I missed meeting you - I think I knew you were coming and meant to try to find you but when the day came I just forgot.  Are you going to the ESCONI trip in a few weeks? I'll be there on Saturday the 19th, maybe we can meet then.

Chris 

1 hour ago, bigred97 said:

Wow, awesome finds, everyone! It was a great trip and i enjoyed seeing so many of you, even if it was only half of your faces haha. I have yet to tap my finds but if any open I will post them.

@connorp That millipede is awesome! Congrats! I am so sorry I missed meeting you - I think I knew you were coming and meant to try to find you but when the day came I just forgot.  Are you going to the ESCONI trip in a few weeks? I'll be there on Saturday the 19th, maybe we can meet then.

Chris 

Thanks! I am signed up for Saturday as well, but my graduate program starts on the 16th so I don’t know yet if I’ll have the free time. Hopefully I will.

40 minutes ago, connorp said:

Thanks! I am signed up for Saturday as well, but my graduate program starts on the 16th so I don’t know yet if I’ll have the free time. Hopefully I will.

I hope you can make it. It will be a TFF party. I'll be there on Saturday too. I'm excited to go back to Mazon Creek. Last time I was there I found nothing.