I & M Canal Corridor Association MAZON CREEK Trip

Nimravis

29 minutes ago, bigred97 said:

@connorp, I call Rich the "Macroneuropteris-whisperer" - I never have the luck he does finding these. Almost makes you wonder if it's not luck after all haha. All I know is that next time I'm going to just follow him around, looking for ones he might have missed. I'm sure I'll have better luck than just going off by myself somewhere.

Rich, nice finds! I really like the seed, I've never found one of those. Chris

Thanks, Chris!  I do seem to find a few of them... probably at the expense of other things.  Most of my little ones have been the orbicular pinnules this year.

The seed is pretty crumbly.  There is a fair amount of variety in the concretions in the river.  

Cheers,

Rich

• I found this Informative 3

I do like those multi-pinnule Macroneuropteris pieces. I knew they existed but not sure I've ever seen anything other than a drawing of them (or the reconstructed plant). Seen lots of multi-pinnuled examples of other fern-like things of course, but not those.

Lots of other great stuff here too!

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, connorp said:

Nice finds, as usual @stats! Have you been able to sign up for this year? I tried calling but haven't been able to get hold of anyone yet.

Thanks!  I saw it posted.  I'm going to sign up for the Collectors Day on Saturday.

Cheers,
Rich

Nice ones Rich @stats, I have not checked any of my buckets that I have freezing, they are under a couple feet of snow, hopefully something nice will pop.

• I found this Informative 1

On 2/20/2021 at 11:24 PM, stats said:

Thanks!  I saw it posted.  I'm going to sign up for the Collectors Day on Saturday.

Cheers,
Rich

I saw that they have changed the offerings this year? It looks like they are doing two one-day guided beginner/family outings first and then the experienced collector trip is a week later and both Saturday and Sunday. Or am I reading this wrong? https://iandmcanal.org/event/mazon-creek-fossil-tour-experienced-fossil-collector-days/

I am going to call today to try and find out- I would really like to finally be able to go on this trip!

I left a voicemail last week and got a call back yesterday to finalize the details. @deutscheben you are correct that they are doing separate outings for families, then beginning collectors, and then at the end, experienced collectors. I would have loved to sign up for one of the experienced collectors days but I have a family commitment that weekend. So I signed my family up for the first weekend so I could bring my boys. I was told that on that day there won't be a lot of time at the creek itself, I think she wanted me to understand that it won't include as much collecting as the event I attended last year. But I'm excited by the opportunity to bring my boys for their first fossil experience.

If you call and get voicemail, I would recommend leaving a message with the day you want. I'm guessing the place is closed so someone might not be there every day, and it may be difficult to get someone live when you call.

Good luck!

• I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, bigred97 said:

I left a voicemail last week and got a call back yesterday to finalize the details. @deutscheben you are correct that they are doing separate outings for families, then beginning collectors, and then at the end, experienced collectors. I would have loved to sign up for one of the experienced collectors days but I have a family commitment that weekend. So I signed my family up for the first weekend so I could bring my boys. I was told that on that day there won't be a lot of time at the creek itself, I think she wanted me to understand that it won't include as much collecting as the event I attended last year. But I'm excited by the opportunity to bring my boys for their first fossil experience.

If you call and get voicemail, I would recommend leaving a message with the day you want. I'm guessing the place is closed so someone might not be there every day, and it may be difficult to get someone live when you call.

Good luck!

I left a message yesterday... haven't heard back yet.  But, I am going to go on the experienced collector Saturday.  From what I heard, the first weekend is guided trips with limited time collecting.

Cheers,

Rich

I was able to get through this afternoon and reserve a spot for the experienced collectors Saturday- as the website indicates, the Saturday gets more time on the river, but no dinner, while Sunday gets less time plus a full meal. I'll take the fossils!

I'm sorry I won't be able to meet you on this trip @bigred97, I've had the pleasure of collecting with many other forum members in the Chicago area and I am always excited to meet more.  

43 minutes ago, deutscheben said:

I was able to get through this afternoon and reserve a spot for the experienced collectors Saturday- as the website indicates, the Saturday gets more time on the river, but no dinner, while Sunday gets less time plus a full meal. I'll take the fossils!

I'm sorry I won't be able to meet you on this trip @bigred97, I've had the pleasure of collecting with many other forum members in the Chicago area and I am always excited to meet more.  

I just signed up.  Probably do both days as other years.

Cheers,

Rich

"the experienced collectors days"

I would like to give this a try. I have collected a few nodules before. What qualifies an individual to meet the "experienced" category? Seems like they get more hunting time. 

Mike

2 hours ago, bigred97 said:

I'm sorry about that, too, @deutscheben! Maybe at Braceville - I'm certainly planning on making that trip!

Maybe! I am hoping to make at least one of those this year.

1 hour ago, stats said:

I just signed up.  Probably do both days as other years.

Cheers,

Rich

1 hour ago, connorp said:

Just signed up for both days as well. Looking forward to seeing all of you!

That's great to hear, I am very excited to finally collect from the river itself. 

8 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

"the experienced collectors days"

I would like to give this a try. I have collected a few nodules before. What qualifies an individual to meet the "experienced" category? Seems like they get more hunting time. 

Mike

There aren't any qualifications to meet, it is just more searching on your own those days as opposed to guided collection on the beginner days- but I'm certain there would be numerous experienced folks happy to help regardless. There is also more educational programming scheduled on the beginner days. 

• I Agree 1

Looks like Saturday is the popular day !! My wife and I have gone just one of the two days the last couple years. Will definitely sign up for Saturday , and possibly Sunday as well, on the "experienced " weekend. It's a hoot !!! Great hunting, great people, lots of fun !!!

Phil

• I Agree 1