Not A Clue

Wolf13542

This was found with calamites in Pittsburgh area PA. Is the first plant matter of calamites? The second might be an archemedies(spelling check?) or other shell.

post-2599-12618466813064_thumb.jpg

300 MYO mulch :)

Not sure 'bout #2, but it looks carbonized too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I just got back from looking there today and saw the reply. I found more mulch a calamites and a 2 ferns. What would cause mulch? Just decomposing? Can you tell what they are from?

Think of all the plant debris on a forest floor; bark and leaves and twigs in various stages of becoming soil. Sometimes, the bits are unidentifiable.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah I'm going to agree with mulch. I have lots of carbonized hash plates of "unidentifiable mulch material". Sometimes you can pick out certain pieces that you can get some sort of ID on but most times not.

Wolf13542.... Sometimes just below a coal layer there are the mud or clay layers that the coalified forest actually grew on prior to fossilisation, effectively the soil.... in the UK we call these the Seat Earths and very often they contain fragmentary root and plant remains that are unidentifiable as the preservation is quite poor.... I would imagine your specimen could be a chunk of this...I tried to google a definition.....

''A British term for a bed of rock underlying a coal seam, representing an old soil that supported the vegetation from which the coal was formed''

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)