Sign in to follow this  
Opabinia Blues

White River Small Partial Vertebra ID

Opabinia Blues

Hello, everyone,

Lately this summer I’ve been doing a bit of casual fossil collecting (with explicit permission!) on some land that a very close family friend owns in Weld County, Colorado that has a lot of exposure of the White River Formation, and I’ve collected a sizable amount of material including some pretty awesome finds.

Being an amateur, I need some help identifying some of the fossils I’ve collected. Since the forum has a photo upload limit per post, I’ll be making a few threads for different finds, I hope that is ok.

This is a small partial vertebra, collected in Weld County, CO on the Brule Formation. The piece next to it is one of the transverse processes, which was barely attached when I collected it but finally unfortunately broke off when in my bag. Any identification appreciated.

BD46E835-611D-40A3-9637-E7716218B1AF.thumb.jpeg.f38c96769a014e5affed46dc60aa5f8d.jpeg

Thanks!

jpc

mammal vertebra... not easy to ID to animal.  

Randyw

It kind of reminds me of my Oreodont Vert but I’m only 30% convinced of it...

Opabinia Blues
1 hour ago, Randyw said:

It kind of reminds me of my Oreodont Vert but I’m only 30% convinced of it...

It does actually look quite Oreodont-like, though of course it is possible it’s from a totally different animal with a similar morphology of the vertebrae. Thank you!