Opabinia Blues

Hello, everyone,

Lately this summer I’ve been doing a bit of casual fossil collecting (with explicit permission!) on some land that a very close family friend owns in Weld County, Colorado that has a lot of exposure of the White River Formation, and I’ve collected a sizable amount of material including some pretty awesome finds.

Being an amateur, I need some help identifying some of the fossils I’ve collected. Since the forum has a photo upload limit per post, I’ll be making a few threads for different finds, I hope that is ok.

The following are two teeth that I found very near to (but not attached to) a piece of jaw bone. My current hypothesis is that these two teeth are associated with the same jaw. From Weld County, CO.

Though hard to tell from the pictures, tooth #1 does have a distinctive ridge at the apex of the crown, though this could just be wear. Tooth #2 appears only to be a fragment, and a small fragment at that, and so may or may not be identifiable unless it turns out they’re from the same animal and the first tooth is identified.

#1:

004C41D1-D087-41E6-AA93-3586970C227A.thumb.jpeg.fb82fec1334b824e4c0f16f32d809dd2.jpeg

#2:

F323944C-2E09-4364-9039-15EC2C949562.jpeg

Thanks!

Edited by OpabiniaBoogaloo

• 3 years later...

I am by no means an expert, but I believe you possess a posterior maxillary tooth of some sort of heterodontid crocodilian. Potentially Alligator prenasalis, very neat organism. I just made this account, so I apologize for a 4-year late comment.