Glueing Labels to Fossil

Welsh Wizard

Hi

Does anyone know what is the best glue to use for glueing paper labels to fossils. Just like the victorians used to do.

Thanks

Nick

I wouldn’t recommend doing that, it can damage that fossil, and it’s a nightmare if you ever want to take it off!!!

Have a look here, for alternatives.

• I found this Informative 6

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have an archival labeling kit. It has both clear and white for painting on a small rectangle. I then use archival ink in technical pens to write my field numbers. After that has dried I paint a layer of clear over the top.  

There are certainly some surfaces that are impossible to write upon. Or they are just too small. For those I just have to do my best to keep the labels and the specimens together in a zip lock or box. 

I'm also trying to take pictures of as many of my specimens as possible and then name the file with my field number.  If needed I can go back to that if things ever get jumbled.

If I were to need to glue on a label I would use the same sort of reversible paraloid as I might use for repairs.

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Have a look here, for alternatives.

Thanks that’s really helpful as I want to label a number of key fossils that I’ve got.

1 hour ago, TqB said:

I use paraloid, 25-30%, later coated with 10%. Strong but reversible.

Thanks Tarquin.

9 minutes ago, erose said:

I have an archival labeling kit. It has both clear and white for painting on a small rectangle. I then use archival ink in technical pens to write my field numbers. After that has dried I paint a layer of clear over the top.  

There are certainly some surfaces that are impossible to write upon. Or they are just too small. For those I just have to do my best to keep the labels and the specimens together in a zip lock or box. 

I'm also trying to take pictures of as many of my specimens as possible and then name the file with my field number.  If needed I can go back to that if things ever get jumbled.

If I were to need to glue on a label I would use the same sort of reversible paraloid as I might use for repairs.

Thanks. That’s really helpful

You could use removable putty. I bought some from Michaels. $5 for like 120 tabs and it comes off easy. Make sure you get the removable ones - the same kind that are advertised for posters mounted to walls work fine for me,