Microfossil slides and more tiny shark remains from the Devonian

fossilsonwheels

I finally got some microfossil slides and I got some additional Devonian matrix from New York. I decided to go back to the Genundewa Limestone matrix primarily because I failed to find shark related matrix from other locations that are of the same age. 

Each of the three searches in this matrix has produced different results which make it fun to search. This search was a lot of Phoebodus teeth and some were close to 75% complete. Easily the best Phoebodus teeth I’ve found in this formation yet. I found a fair amount of Omalodus teeth and some nice ones. I also found two incomplete mystery teeth again. Fewer denticles but a piece of fin spine. 

The shark remains are in the bottom slide in the picture. The top slide are awesome little fish remains including various Conodont elements, fish teeth, fish scales and what I think might be bits of Placoderm. 

These are not going in a display. They are just going to be study specimens for me. I think I can find or make microfossil slides that will hold the fossils in place better but these work now. 

05823C59-02BB-42E1-9793-83EF61BEF03B.jpeg

Edited by fossilsonwheels
Wanted to edit some info
  • I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...

I finally got a chance to get pictures of some of the fossils in the microfossil slides. I do not manipulate the fossils to get good pictures. They are so fragile. These moved around a bit in transit from my house to the museum and some weren’t in a great position to photograph but I did my best. 

First picture shows several different teeth. At least three species are seen in this photo. Several of the Phoebodus type teeth, several of the Omalodus type teeth and on the far right is the mystery type tooth. I believe it could some sort of Antarticlamnaformes but until I find a complete one, that doesn’t break, I won’t know. 

97F4323D-3626-4B6A-8747-944AC6A76689.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Next picture is one of the more complete Phoebodus teeth I have found. Not a great picture but it’s a nice little tooth. 

3E8B7699-B5A8-46C6-BE1A-AFBBE0B8AA81.jpeg

A closer look at my mystery tooth morphology. I found a grand total of 7 teeth like this. 4 made it to storage. 1 was complete and intact with both cusps but broke during transfer. 

They are much smaller than the Phoebodus  teeth and the Omalodus teeth. These are

1-2mm in size and extremely fragile. They also are way less common than the other two. 

338D81E2-A671-4880-845D-67E76D38EE57.jpeg

• 5 months later...

I finally isolated one of my tiny mystery teeth into it’s own micro slide. 

They superficially resemble my Permian Barbclabornia teeth. The closest match of a similar age are the teeth of  Leonodus. My last post shows a close up on one. Far less common than the other teeth and extremely hard to handle. I just got more matrix and found one. Got it moved and secured in it’s own home. Not feeling brave enough to move the others yet but at least I’ve got one secured. That will help investigate the ID of these cool little teeth. 

Wooooohoooo :) 

the tiny dot in the picture is the tooth. Best picture I can get for now but it’s there lol It’s actually a pretty light blue. 

122F64ED-D0BD-41F5-BB29-B7CDE4194A07.jpeg

Edited by fossilsonwheels
Updated info