BellamyBlake

I have here a Spinosaur tooth. It's nearly 4". I don't doubt it's "real," but it looks restored to me and I would appreciate help figuring out just how restored it is.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I don't see any very clear obvious red flags. But there are a few smudges that look a little suspicious. It might just be slightly repaired. But I would ask for more photos. Closeups all around the root to be sure.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

5 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

I don't see any very clear obvious red flags. But there are a few smudges that look a little suspicious. It might just be slightly repaired. But I would ask for more photos. Closeups all around the root to be sure.

Thanks haha, I viewed that large burgundy rectangle in the second photo, from the tip to the halfway point, as a repair. I could be wrong about that. In any case, I'll ask for better photos before considering it further.

The tooth and root appear real with the following caveats.   The wear facet on the side of the crown might be a fractured tooth considering there is some matrix on the tip of the crown (second pic).  Need a side photo to see it better.  The root looks real but there are areas that might have had some repair to it.  The matrix at the bottom  is always a red flag but not sure why on this one.  Might be holding the bottom portion of a repaired root which is okay. Need sharper and closer photos.

MIGHT be areas of reattachment. Not a big issue if they are.

2.thumb.jpg.58308b84adcc95596f30b048fa5b2c53_20200902044551879.jpg.1836250c8d50d6bf8b0ddcaf84611724.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

The tooth and root appear real with the following caveats.   The wear facet on the side of the crown might be a fractured tooth considering there is some matrix on the tip of the crown (second pic).  Need a side photo to see it better.  The root looks real but there are areas that might have had some repair to it.  The matrix at the bottom  is always a red flag but not sure why on this one.  Might be holding the bottom portion of a repaired root which is okay. Need sharper and closer photos.

MIGHT be areas of reattachment. Not a big issue if they are.

2.thumb.jpg.58308b84adcc95596f30b048fa5b2c53_20200902044551879.jpg.1836250c8d50d6bf8b0ddcaf84611724.jpg

Thank you for your analysis as always. I agree - a few restorations aren't the biggest deal. It seems hard to find a tooth from this locality that's completely unrestored in any event

• 2 weeks later...

nice tooth nothing bad to said.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...