Edisto Beach Tips?

Buder

I am going to be heading down to Edisto Beach in South Carolina and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for finding fossils there? I know what to look for regarding shark teeth, but this will be my first time hunting ice age fossils, so even help on just identifying ice age fossils will be great! Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, Buder said:

I am going to be heading down to Edisto Beach in South Carolina and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for finding fossils there? I know what to look for regarding shark teeth, but this will be my first time hunting ice age fossils, so even help on just identifying ice age fossils will be great! Thanks in advance!

Hi There,

Your best bet is to search the forum. To note are @old bones and her trip reports. They are quite informative and a true visual treat .. and great for identification. Of course, on my own trips there low tide is best and I've done quite well at the surf line. That being said the fossils are usually very dark and stand out against the shells heaped up on the sand.

Hunting those can be useful but the fossils are all up and down the surf and increase as you approach the Edisto River inlet/outflow.

Cheers,

Brett

Just keep your eyes on the ground and check everything (especially) black... if in doubt, keep it and post here for ID. Good luck!

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png