Fossil hunting in MD - Labor Day weekend?

lakoneko

I have been looking into Maryland fossil sites, and am trying to plan a day trip, but I realize it is Labor day weekend, which can complicate things.

How busy do the usual fossil beaches get in Maryland? I currently have Purse, Matoaka, and Calvert Cliffs on my list

Should I just wait til next weekend?

When is the best time to hit the beaches?

I am especially looking for a Ecphora gardnerae, if there are any sites which would be better to focus my search at?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

I don’t know about Ecphora gardnerae, but based off of reading I’ve done(I’ve personally only gone to purse out of the three mentioned)matoaka has a lot more shells, purse has a ton of shark teeth, and Calvert doesn’t sound great.

• I found this Informative 1

They can get pretty busy, especially the ones open to non-locals during COVID. Bests hunting time is two hours before and after low tide. The retreating tide shows new fossils.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

If finding an Ecphora gardenerae is your primary I would look at Matoaka as your best bet. Definitely get there early though as I think they can reach capacity and not allow more people in. I haven't been there since Memorial day so not sure on recent conditions. We were at Purse last week twice and it can get pretty busy. Weekends are a lot busier as far as boats in the bay and running out of room in the small parking lot and people parking on the roadside. But if you get there early, before 9:30am you should be good with parking. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 11:00 AM, Clint08 said:

If finding an Ecphora gardenerae is your primary I would look at Matoaka as your best bet. Definitely get there early though as I think they can reach capacity and not allow more people in. I haven't been there since Memorial day so not sure on recent conditions. We were at Purse last week twice and it can get pretty busy. Weekends are a lot busier as far as boats in the bay and running out of room in the small parking lot and people parking on the roadside. But if you get there early, before 9:30am you should be good with parking. 

Thanks for the tip! That's where I was planning on going tomorrow morning, so sounds like I was on the right track! Hoping that the cooler weather might ward some people off, but definitely planning on getting there early! :3

Hi,

Marvelous ! :b_love1:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

12 hours ago, lakoneko said:

Thanks everyone for the help! Found this today at Matoaka, so pretty happy! :D

20200920_013154~2.jpg

20200920_013233~3.jpg

Is that an Ecphora Gardenerae? Great find, love the color!

On 9/20/2020 at 2:28 PM, Familyroadtrip said:

Is that an Ecphora Gardenerae? Great find, love the color!

I think so, definitely an ecphora at least. The color is what helped me spot it in a light gray clump of mud! I found a few others that were much lighter, but they all broke into tiny pieces when I tried to extract them, so I stopped trying :DOH: