Jump to content

any shark teeth, modern or fossil, to be found in Cape Ann, Mass?


Recommended Posts

planning a trip for the weekend to Cape Ann, Massachusetts (Gloucester-Rockport).

I understand that fossil shark teeth are not going to be found

how about modern shark teeth?

or anything else interesting?

(Other than the world's best fried clams)

 

ps.  2 weeks later a weekend in Cape Cod which according to previous posts on TFF is also devoid of fossil shark teeth

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any beach is liable to have modern shark teeth, however they tend to be significantly more rarer than fossil shark teeth at fossil sites. One must remember fossils have millions of years worth of shark teeth in them. Also sharks are a bit less common now than during say, the Miocene. Luckily, in that area sharks are starting to make a comeback (particularly great whites) so there’s certainly a possibility.

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, butchndad said:

ps.  2 weeks later a weekend in Cape Cod which according to previous posts on TFF is also devoid of fossil shark teeth

 

You might be interested in this thread... I heard that a few are finding Great White modern teeth at Chatham....

 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

 

You might be interested in this thread... I heard that a few are finding Great White modern teeth at Chatham....

 

Chatham happens to be where we're staying and i will be looking, thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Members past have posted stating they found Megalodon teeth in Martha's Vineyard. I haven't an idea if this site is open to collecting anymore as that was posted in 2011.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BellamyBlake said:

Members past have posted stating they found Megalodon teeth in Martha's Vineyard. I haven't an idea if this site is open to collecting anymore as that was posted in 2011.

 

 

Illegal for anyone but Native Americans to collect there now.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Illegal for anyone but Native Americans to collect there now.

Oof, I began mentally planning a trip. Thank you for saving me the heartbreak

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

It's illegal to collect down the vineyard? Since when..I'm not native american and I most definitely walk around picking things up..unless you are speaking of some area your prohibited too..but not the whole island

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2020 at 11:03 PM, butchndad said:

planning a trip for the weekend to Cape Ann, Massachusetts (Gloucester-Rockport).

I understand that fossil shark teeth are not going to be found

how about modern shark teeth?

or anything else interesting?

(Other than the world's best fried clams)

 

ps.  2 weeks later a weekend in Cape Cod which according to previous posts on TFF is also devoid of fossil shark teeth

i was about to reply to this post when i finally realized it was my post!   Post trip i can say that i looked but did not find any shark teeth.  I did bring home some fish vertebrae and a skate or ray tail.  Two weeks later we were in Chatham Ma. (Cape Cod) and again no shark teeth but i brought home some presumably modern mammal teeth, horseshoe crabs and my favorite, a gull skull

 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a tooth I'm showing now some of the fishermen grabbed it but I've seen them get a mammoths before! I can't even find sand dollars anymore  so that's what they brought me back ..everyone wants scallops when they get back I just wanted my sand dollars and seaglass! And now this fossil I can't imagine I'm lucky enough it could be a saber tooth but I don't know what else! Hope you enjoyed the trip still by the way! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JessStec said:

I have a tooth I'm showing now some of the fishermen grabbed it but I've seen them get a mammoths before! I can't even find sand dollars anymore  so that's what they brought me back ..everyone wants scallops when they get back I just wanted my sand dollars and seaglass! And now this fossil I can't imagine I'm lucky enough it could be a saber tooth but I don't know what else! Hope you enjoyed the trip still by the way! 

post photos!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cape Ann is all granitic, I think.  So don't expect much in the rocks, but maybe on the beaches.  I think the south shore is much better for fossils than the north shore.

(I grew up in MA).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...